We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best mexican place to eat

crittenden, ky
11 posts
Save Topic
best mexican place to eat

going to abq for one night only, wanted to shop in old town and eat at the best mexican place. Please let me know where that is at??!!! Thank you very much.

Teresa

albuquerque
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best mexican place to eat

My top two recommendations are Casa de Benevidez,. or El Pinto Restaurant in Albuquerque's far north valley on 4th Street . Both offer the ambiance of New Mexico, along with some excellent "New" Mexican food. If you are pressed for time, and care more about the food than the ambiance while in the Old Town area, try Little Anitas at the NW corner of Old Town (Rio Grande Blvd. @ Mountain Road), or La Hacienda (east of the old church on the plaza. If you have kids in tow that want burgers...try Casa Grande Restaurant, 3-4 blocks west of the SW corner of Old Town (Rio Grande / Central Ave. (old Route 66)...on Central, across from the Aquarium. They offer both Mexican, and American food. Not fancy, just a "family" type place, all meals under $10. Avoid Las Casitas (I think thats the name) across from the SE corner of Old Town Plaza, unless you like bland, "gringo" food. Ditto Duran's, the #1 recommended in Albuquerque on TripAdvisor, which is in the back of a pharmacy on Central Ave....good, but for their prices you deserve to enjoy your meal in a restaurant with some SW character! This is my 24th year living in Albuquerque, and sampling it's dozens of Mexican restaurants. Enjoy your short time in Albuquerque, and try to take in at least one of our museums on Mountain Road, just NE of Old Town. If Adults, I'll suggest the Albuquerque Museum with the area's ancient history...if kids in tow, the New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science. The latter also has the wrap-around theater showing a variety of film topics.

Belmont...
Level Contributor
672 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best mexican place to eat

Almost any New Mexican you talk to will give you their opinion of the "best" Mexican place in town. I really disagree with the previous post but we all have different tastes.

The last time I ate at Casa de Benevidez, the service was sooo bad I could never recommend them to anyone. Also, their chile is unpredictable. I'm never impressed when chile is so hot that I suspect it's design is to hide something! El Pinto is big with tourists, but I find their meals to be bland.

In the Old Town area, I would recommend either the Church Street Cafe or Las Mananitas, with Church Street being closer, you would probably want to drive to LM. Both have limited menus but you can get a good idea what authentic New Mexico casual cuisine is like.

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best mexican place to eat

Church Street Cafe is especially good for breakfast.

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best mexican place to eat

Los Cuates or Sadies....niether near Old Town, but the best New Mexican food, imo. I've been eating at both for over 20 years

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
136 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best mexican place to eat

I agree with Sadies and the church street cafe. Personally, I think El Pinto is over priced and not really that good.

Miami, FL
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best mexican place to eat

I too will be visiting Albq for a conference in mid-March and I would like some suggestions on the best New Mexican places to eat (not Tex-Mex or interior Mexican food) near our hotel (Hyatt I think). I am renting a car so driving is not a problem. I also appreciate the other comments posted. We only have one full day and some nights to spend in Albq so I would appreciate suggestions on day trip (museums, old town) or would driving to Sante Fe be more interesting? The latter is what others have suggested.

Is the weather cold this time of year? We live in Miami so cold weather means having to wear pants and socks! Thanks.

Coral Springs FL
Level Contributor
741 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best mexican place to eat

Hi RM. I also grew up in Miami and lived in Albuquerque for 17 years. march will be very cold for you..so bundle in layers, cause if the sun is out you might get warm.

I love the Garduno's on 4th Street and Sadies for New Mexican food. There are other Garduno's now, but 4th street is the best one to me.

have a great time!

Lisa

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
226 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best mexican place to eat

Two of our favorite places are Frontier and Los Cuates. I was disappointed in El Pinto. We went for the brunch buffet and maybe it was just a bad time to go. Most of the trays were empty and we stood in line waiting for them to be refilled. When they did finally come from the kitchen (one at a time) they were luke warm and the food was very greasy. Maybe it's better if you order off the menu. I will admit the atmosphere is nice so if that's what you are looking for then this is the place to go.

Maybe it's just me but I found the best food in Albuquerque seems to come from the small inexpensive casual type places.

I am still trying to find "the best" green chile cheeseburger in Albuquerque. I would like to find something that could compare to the famous one in the Owl Cafe in San Antonio, NM. Any suggestions?

Coral Springs FL
Level Contributor
741 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best mexican place to eat

Oh, Randy....topping the Owl is a tall order indeed!!!

I think you should buy some chile and make it yourself!! LOL...

The secret at the owl was they mixed ground beef and ground pork and used roasted hatch green chile. Not sure if any other restaurant does that!

Lisa

Albuquerque, NM
Level Contributor
160 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best mexican place to eat

Teresa,

It seems like you want Mexican and not New Mexican, is that right? For Mexican Mexican, El Modelo, Barelas Coffee House and El Norteno would be my top picks. Garcia's Kitchen and Sadie's are good, too. I'd say Los Cuates comes after those. Garduno's is more like a chain and the food is less interesting and authentic than in the others.

Happy Eating!