We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern coast redwoods

Kansas
Level Contributor
78 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Northern coast redwoods

In early Sept. we will be coming down the Oregon coast and going into California to see the redwoods. Almost 60's couple would like rural areas, beautiful scenery but not a lot of hiking. We will leave Gold Beach, OR and have 2 nights to spend in northern CA before heading back up 199 into Oregon toward Bend, OR.

What route do you suggest in California and where would you stay each of the two nights?

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Northern coast redwoods

Really nice pix, Super. I need to learn how to do that.

Kansas
Level Contributor
78 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Northern coast redwoods

Oh, so many choices. I was having a hard time determining how much we would need to wander off 101 to see the redwoods but now that I saw a map of Jedediah State Park it doesn't look like it's far from Crescent City. And again heading south of Crescent it looks like we would be going right through them.

I checked out Oceanfront Lodge and it looks the best but was twice the price. Anchor Inn has some good reviews so we will give that a try. I couldn't find anything in Trinidad with king bed (my DH is really tall) so that's why we opted for Fortuna.

I think we will plan to do the Lost Coast. My DH absolutely loves roads like that - we are all about scenic, not just coastline. We'll kind of play it by ear when we get there and see what the weather is like.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, including those for restaurants and picnic areas. How am I going to wait until fall for this fabulous trip????

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Northern coast redwoods

199 from 101 east to just past the main entry into JSSP (about 10 miles, I think) is spectaular with redwoods right up to edge of pavement. 101 south of Crescent City for about 15 miles is almost as good.

If redwoods are a main focus:

-Stout Grove is biggest of the big; don't miss it.

-Have a picnic at the picnic area of JSSP; you will be eating under the huge redwoods.

-There are several hikes in JSSP among the redwoods

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Northern coast redwoods

I'm probably obsessing here but I'll again suggest not making the drive past Trinadad down to Ferndale & back. This will take you at least a half day round trip & I can't think of anything special you will see or do. (If others know of something please bring it up).

I can think of at least three options where you will get more memories in the same amount of time:

1) For nature stuff explore other sights between Crescent City & Trinadad. Or just more time in the redwoods.

2) Spend more time in southern Oregon. Ashland's Shakespear festival, particularly the open air theater, is well worth it. Ashland itself is an a quaint college town. And a jet boat ride out of Grants Pass is great fun. (There are also jet boat rides out of Gold Beach but I've never been on one)

3) I saw somewhere you will be going along the Columbia River Gorge...I assume along I 84. There is a long stretch of road parrallel (sp?) to 84 on the south above the river. That road has 5 or 6 waterfalls along it and is well worth a leisurely drive, imo.

Okay, I'll be quiet now!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,228 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Northern coast redwoods

>> I can't think of anything special you will see or do.<<

Many visitors think the town of Ferndale itself is special, plus there is a lot to do in Eureka. KansasLady already said they are interested in driving the Lost Coast road.

3) It's called the historic Columbia River Highway... tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g52104-d11…

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Northern coast redwoods

Kansas,

One way or another you will want to include the Columbia River Highway Brit highlights above in your route. I would allow a day if you can. It is spectacular. And if your husband is still nursing a bad foot, he will be able to get to most of the falls.

27. Re: Northern coast redwoods

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 08:43