We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Redwoods and Crescent City

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Redwoods and Crescent City

We are planning a return trip to Crescent City, CA and the Redwoods in a couple of weeks. This time, the plan is to drive to Eureka for a day. Can anyone give any advice as to what to do or see on the drive down. I know people have told me there are a few really nice beaches to stop and take in the scenery. Also, how far is Ferndale from Eureka and is it worth it? I've also been told since we are planning on staying in Jedediah Smith State Park we really don't need to go to The Avenue of the Giants. Any advice??

brownsville,pa
2 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Visiting Redwoods and Crescent City

im visiting relatives in portland, im from pittsburgh. Im planning a drive from tillamook to crescent city and return. I assume the redwoods are in the crescent city area. would 4 days be enough time for this little adventure. any imput would be helpful, along with any ideas on what to see.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,642 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Visiting Redwoods and Crescent City

larry -

There's plenty of ideas in the previous posts in this thread. It' always best to start your own thread rather than tag onto an older one.

I suggest you repost in tne Redwood National Park forum if your primary interest is the redwood groves. It's a good idea to state what time of year you will be doing this. In my opinion, 4 days would be the minimum time for a trip like this from Portland. You might also check out the Oregon forum for ideas about what to see between Portland and Crescent City.

brownsville,pa
2 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Visiting Redwoods and Crescent City

thanks for the advise,,very helful..

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,069 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Visiting Redwoods and Crescent City

Hi larry s and welcome to TripAdvisor. I agree it would be best to start your own thread. To locate the appropriate forums, click on the blue links below:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g2193168-i22777-Re…

and

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1438848-i12636-Or…

Then, click on the orange and white button that says "Ask a question" and fill in information in the boxes that will appear, then click submit.

San Francisco...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Visiting Redwoods and Crescent City

I'm planning a week long trip to Redwoods NP, Oregon coast, Eugene early July. I intend to fly in from SF to crescent city & rent a car. preliminary itinerary:

days 1& 2 Crescent city/Eureka area (Redwoods NP)

days 3 - 5 Oregon coast. perhaps staying in 1 or 2 places (getting up ~Florence)

days 6& 7 drive to Eugene, spend days 6-7 in that area. end of day 7 fly from Eugene

I'm be traveling on my own & don't want to do too much driving.

* is this a doable & recommended plan?

* I want to do some light hiking. being a woman on my own, where is this recommended?

* where should I stayover on OR coast?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,069 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Visiting Redwoods and Crescent City

Hi Tamar1019 and welcome to TripAdvisor. I'm curious why you chose to fly to Crescent City instead of Eureka? The two towns are only an hour and a half apart, and Eureka is a larger airport.

Are you planning to visit over July 4th weekend?

Your plan is fine, although I'd probably spend less time in Eugene, but that's just my preference!

Just about all of the Oregon coastal towns are pleasant, although Coos Bay/North Bend and Reedsport are less scenic and more congested. You might think about going north as far as Yachats as it's very scenic. Cape Perpetua area has lots of hiking trails.

17. Re: Visiting Redwoods and Crescent City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2014, 20:15