We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route and Suggestions for drive from SFO to Crescent City

Corona del Mar...
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Route and Suggestions for drive from SFO to Crescent City

Hi, I am traveling with my boyfriend and parents (all in good health) and we are starting our drive from SFO at 11AM or so up to Crescent City this weekend. We rented a nice house in the area and are traveling with food, so would like to get into CC earlier if possible - meaning, take the fast route when possible, and breaking to take the scenic route at places you recommend we stop at (including must stop at eats!). We have an open budget and can visit any places/parks that are must dos along the way up. My father is a photographer and I'd like to stop along some areas to get him some amazing scenic shots. We are only staying in CC until Monday AM and are driving back to SF.

I need:

- Recommendations on the best route (fastest, but scenic at must sees) going North from SF: I was planning on taking the 101 all the way up but it doesn't seem like it would be the best route and not sure if we can access Ave of Giants, etc from there.

- Recommendations on the fastest route from CC back to SF

- Scenic trails in CC and anywhere in the 15 minute drive vicinity - we are very athletic and would like to do some trail runs or walks

We have Saturday and Monday as travel time in the car, and Sunday is a completely free day.

Thanks so much in advance for any advice :)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route and Suggestions for drive from SFO to Crescent City

Take 101. You will be driving through Redwood National Park. Stop at the Kuchel visitor center right off 101 for great coastal views and info. Just take the Drury Scenic Parkway turnoff for great scenic drive through redwoods. Stop at roadside turnoff to walk among redwoods and continue and connect back on 101 to Crescent City.

Background info: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c195829/Califo…

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route and Suggestions for drive from SFO to Crescent City

Highway 101. It's the fastest and is a pleasant drive once you get out of the busy Bay area. You'll first see redwoods at Richardson Grove - you might like to stop at the "One Log House" there. Ave of the Giants is old Hwy 101 so yes you access it from modern day 101 (which is a freeway through there).

A better drive in my experience is the Newton Drury scenic parkway, north of Orick (north of Eureka). That is also old highway 101 but has no private property nor farms & ranches or businesses that Ave/Giants does.

Things to do in and around Crescent City:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60944-c139445/Cresce…

Stop in to Trinidad for a look at at a very scenic little harbour and village - very photogenic!

Other things that might interest you:

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g32564-Activitie…

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g32830-Activitie…

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g2193168-Activit…

Corona del Mar...
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route and Suggestions for drive from SFO to Crescent City

Thank you both! We'll take the routes you suggested - the Newton drive sounds right up our alley. Is the Loleta Cheese Factory a must-visit at all?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route and Suggestions for drive from SFO to Crescent City

It depends some on your timing. It's a family owned, authentic small cheesemaking operation. When we were there they offered lots of kinds of cheese with free samples - they also have a garden and (of course) a small gift shop. I think it's worth a stop as it's interesting. It's just off 101.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32641-d64…

Corona del Mar...
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route and Suggestions for drive from SFO to Crescent City

Thank you so much for your suggestions - much appreciated, Half-Brit!

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Route and Suggestions for drive from SFO to Crescent City

There are plenty of supermarkets closer to Crescent City. No need to haul up food to SFO, There's also a Costco in Eureka.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Route and Suggestions for drive from SFO to Crescent City

You're welcome, lovelife721. Enjoy your weekend :-)

8. Re: Route and Suggestions for drive from SFO to Crescent City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2014, 23:15