We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drury Parkway or Highway 101

Which Crescent City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
682 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Drury Parkway or Highway 101

I posted this on the Redwood forum but got no replies, so I thought I would try here.

As part of a trip this summer, I'm planning to drive from Crescent City to the Newton Drury Parkway. After reaching the point where the Drury Parkway merges back onto Highway 101, should I take Highway 101 back to Crescent City or return the way I came on the Parkway? Anything to see along that stretch of 101? Thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drury Parkway or Highway 101

The current 101 is a freeway with nothing to see. In fact it's hard to see you're even in the redwoods.

I would backtrack on Newton Drury Pkwy. There will surely be things you want to give a second look and the elk may have moved.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drury Parkway or Highway 101

Hmmm, the TA system should have alerted me to a post on the Redwood NP forum. I'll let them know it may not be working!

Since I've had family in that area, I've visited and traveled around the "Redwood Empire" since the mid 1970's. I was soooo glad when (after *years* of being tied up) the "new" freeway was built. What a relief for the trucks and those folks in a hurry!

However, unless you are in a big hurry, I agree with bayatuning -- just turn around and drive back north on Newton Drury. The freeway has lots of conifers on both sides but does not go through the redwoods (and did not kill them!) It is a pleasant enough drive with some nice views to the east but it's just a freeway.

One thing you might be interested in for an easy walk. At the north end of ND, you can continue north on a quiet road until you reach the road block. There is a sign (I think) for Coastal Drive or Coastal Trail. You can then park and walk for a bit. There are some nice views and you'll find an odd stone wall thing with tie rings in it. That road - it's blocked due to earth slippage - is the original wagon road from the late 19th century.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
682 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drury Parkway or Highway 101

Thanks for the replies. I'll go back the way I came on the Parkway. And I'll do a little more research on the roads leading from the Parkway.

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,643 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drury Parkway or Highway 101

Make sure you stop at the Park and see the Elk, very fun. My wife worked at the park for a few years, we alwas loved walking through the park. If you go into the park you have to pay, just park outside and tell them you will just be a few minutes.

Good luck and have fun. Hubie

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
682 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drury Parkway or Highway 101

I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with the area. What park and where is it located? Thanks.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drury Parkway or Highway 101

They are near Orick and yes, very cute!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UViq1QAWrgo

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drury Parkway or Highway 101

Redwood National Park and several California State Parks all sort of flow into each other in that general area. Other than the signs, most people don't know which one they are in, and it really doesn't matter much! I'm thinking Hubie is referring to Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park?

You pay to camp there but there is no general entrance fee. There is a day use fee if you drive all the way out to Gold Bluffs beach. Redwood NP has no visitor fees.

Elk Prairie is at the south end of Newton Drury. There are usually elk there. In your other thread, gp1 suggested you might continue your drive south to about Trinidad if you have time. If you do that, you are almost guaranteed to see elk around the Little Red Schoolhouse, near Stone Lagoon north of Trinidad.

http://www.elkcountryrvresort.com/ You can drive through without camping

You might also want to stop at Thomas Kuchel visitor center north of Orick.

Edited: 20 February 2014, 22:36
Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
682 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drury Parkway or Highway 101

Thanks, again. I love photographing wildlife. I do hope to get some shots of the elk. But, I won't have a lot of time, since I'll have to drive back to Crescent City.

gp1
Eureka, California
Level Contributor
558 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drury Parkway or Highway 101

Hi garyroach2000

We do day trips from Eureka to Crescent City every couple of months. Without stops it is an hour and a half going through the Parkway. From Trinidad it is just over and hour one way back to Crescent City. So you should have plenty of time to see the sights. I think the south end of the costal drive has been closed so you can not do what half brit suggested although that may change at any time. The powers that be keep the north end of that drive (up by the Klamath river mouth) open and it is really nice out that way although some of the road is not paved. If you get an early start and have a late lunch in Trinidad you can make it back to Crescent City by twilight no problem.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drury Parkway or Highway 101

You're right gp1 and I guess I didn't give very good directions! The section that is just north of Newton Drury is that south section that's closed. You can drive maybe a mile north, then park at the barricade and walk along it. We walked for maybe a half mile or so.

Photos 4 & 5 of this... tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g2193168-d…

Do you have any idea what that old stone stucture is? The tie rings are too low for horses, I think...

We drove the north section as well and stopped in to see the old radar station.

--

p.s. I have told TripAdvisor that the seals at Monterey are about 400 miles away, but those photos are still up :-(

Get answers to your questions about Crescent City