We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far from Estes Park to Winter Park

Which Estes Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miami
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How far from Estes Park to Winter Park

Hi,

I will be staying for two nights in Estes Park. Iw as thinking of waking up early- doing a quick hike, driving through trail ridge road to winter park for a late lunch and possible Alpine Skiing. Does anyone know how far away Winter Park is? Is the Alpine slide "worth it" or should I just stick with Grand Lakes? Thank you so much in advance

David

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far from Estes Park to Winter Park

It is 48 miles from Estes Park to Grand Lake across Trail Ridge Road, and another 35 miles to Winter Park . Trail Ridge is a slow drive, though, and there are plenty of place you'd want to stop and enjoy the scenery. If you drove and didn't stop, it would take 90 minutes to two hours to traverse the park (there may be short delays due to road construction.)

As to whether the Alpine Slide is worth it, depends on how much you enjoy hurtling down a concrete track on the side of a mountain in a tiny wheeled cart! I've done it with the family and the kids thought it was awesome. I was glad when I got down in one piece! Apparently, Winter Park has one of the better and longer slides in the state.

Grand Lake and the west side of RMNP are definitely worth seeing. If you see a lot of cars pulled over the right side as you descend, you might want to stop and see if there's a moose grazing in a pond - that's a sight you don't see every day! Grand Lake is a little hamlet on the water that has some cute stores and restaurants - great for lunch. You could certainly make a day-long trip and get in all of your activities as described.

mnr
Kansas City, MO.
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How far from Estes Park to Winter Park

Shaken Bake,

What's US 40 like past WP to I-70? Similar to TRR?

Thx,

mnr

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How far from Estes Park to Winter Park

Hwy 40 over Berthoud Pass is not exactly like TRR. It's more mountain switchbacks, climbing steeply to the summit. It's a good road, with stout guardrails and two lanes in many of the climbing areas, allowing faster cars to pass slower trucks on the uphill. The road is generally in very good condition.

4. Re: How far from Estes Park to Winter Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 14:20