We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Drive from Estes Park to Glenwood Springs

mnr
Kansas City, MO.
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Topic
The Drive from Estes Park to Glenwood Springs

Hello,

After spending a week in EP, we will leave on a Sunday morning in July and drive to GS. We have about 5 or 6 days to spend in the west side. My question is: What's the best way to get there? I am familiar with TRR to GL, and I know there's road construction on TRR and parts of I-70. I haven't been past Granby. Any advice?

Thx,

mnr

mnr
Kansas City, MO.
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The Drive from Estes Park to Glenwood Springs

Well, my wife said I wouldn't get any replies to this b/c that's what Yahoo or MapQuest Driving Directions are for. She was right! Sorry for the lame question TA Users.

Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Drive from Estes Park to Glenwood Springs

Sorry to disagree with your wife. First of all, Mapquest has directed many people with post on this site to roads that are dirt, unmaintained and down right dangerous unless you are a 4x4 enthusiast. Sorry for the delay, but summer is a busy time. Between trying to get the yard work in and summer guest, it gets a little crazy.

There are 2 routes that might work for you, depending on what you want to see. The route that I usually take is across Trailridge to Grand Lake, over to Kremmling and from Kremmling I take Hwy 9 to Silverthorne. From Silverthorne, I take I70 west. This route is great if you want to shop at the outlets in Silverthorne, detour to Breckenridge orstop in Vail to wander thru the villages. The other route would be to take 134 from Kremmling to Bond and then 131 to I70. 134 is an unpaved road. I have not driven it since winter so I am not sure what it is like now. As a rule, it is a good road, but slower traveling with no gas/food stops. The scenery is wonderful, but the decision would be up to you.

Glenwood Canyon will involve minor delays. One side of the Hanging Lake Tunnel is closed due to crack repair that is going in. My parents came thru there last week and said it wasn't too bad. I would say maybe 15 minute delay.

Enjoy your drive, and feel free to post ANY question you have. Personal experience is much better than electronic data any time!

mnr
Kansas City, MO.
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The Drive from Estes Park to Glenwood Springs

mtnlife,

Thanks for the road advice! I think we will take the first route. My wife wants to stop in Vail. Our Inn Keeper also recommended the first route, so you were right on. I looked at the other route on a Rand McNally Road Atlas. It appeared to me that the unpaved/paved road to Bond was south of 134? Also, what about traveling down US 40 from Granby to Empire?

Regarding MapQuest, you weren't the only one that thought they were inaccurate. After further research, I think I'll stick with RM or Yahoo for directions!

As far as road delays on I-70 are concerned, well, that's part of summer road construction. We will make the best of it!

Any favorite restaurants? We'll certainly take a look at the reviews here, but any particular standouts?

Thx again,

mnr

Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Drive from Estes Park to Glenwood Springs

In Estes Park, you might check out the Trailhead Restaurant. It is at the Visitor Center on Fall River Rd. The views are great, fewer people seem to go there for dinner and the food is surprisingly good. They also have a great deck for good weather.

In Vail, we love to go to Garfields in Lionshead Village. This is NOT fine dining, more like TGI Fridays or Chili's. But, it is casual, afforadable and good. The bonus is they have a great deck that looks out on the ski mountain. I think the atmosphere makes the food taste better. I love Glenwood, but I have not been impressed with a meal there in a long time. The 2 places that I have always enjoyed are Rivers and Exclamation Point. Both are a little more upscale but not over the top. Rivers has a great deck and on the Roaring Fork River and Exclamation involves a tram ride up the mountain with great views and good food. I would also suggest 2 places a little further down the road. In New Castle is a place called Elk Creek. Again, not high end, but good food. I have never been disappointed in a meal there. The other place is Miner's Claim in Silt. Don't let the appearance fool you. They offer unique dishes, great Martini's and you will not walk away hungry.

I never take the route into Empire because it makes the trip a little longer for me and I don't want to have to drive Eisenhower Tunnel. Nothing wrong with the drive except traffic. So, I can't tell you too much about the road.

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Drive from Estes Park to Glenwood Springs

I just recently did a drive to Denver for business earlier this week. I drove 1-70 to Denver out and came home on US 40 (Empire to Utah state line).

The road construction on 1-70 between Glenwood Springs and the Eisenhower tunnel was extensive and a real pain (the main reason I decided to come home on US-40). US-40 was beautiful with only minor road construction and very little traffic.

I also heard the road south from Kremmling to 1-70 was in fine shape. Maybe that's the way to go?

*Pixie*

mnr
Kansas City, MO.
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: The Drive from Estes Park to Glenwood Springs

Pixie,

Thanks for the road tip! We will travel to GS via the Kremmling route. I haven't been through the E. Tunnel, but with all the road construction going on there, I can see it some other time.

One of these days, we'll have to check out Utah!

Happy 4th,

mnr

mnr
Kansas City, MO.
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: The Drive from Estes Park to Glenwood Springs

We've stopped at the Trailhead before, but never to dine. I'll check into it.

I'm a little surprised about your review of GS restaurants. Are most of them just too noisy and touristy? There were some favorable comments in the Dining posts. We'll do a little more research. We are "foodies." We like good food and good service that is consistent . The Exclaimation Point sounds cool.

How far is NC from GS?

Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Drive from Estes Park to Glenwood Springs

Sorry for the delay, I spent the weekend until today visiting my husband's family in North Dakota. Some days, flying really stinks. I was only there for 4 days and my luggage was MIA for 1 1/2 days. Ok back to my dining in GWS comments. It's not that dining in GWS is bad, but my opinions are also base on my expectations and the fact that after eating a several numerous times, I get a little burnt out. First, I grew up dining in Dallas. Lots of choices and if the food wasn't great, they had so much competition that they didn't stay in business long. I also enjoy a lot of flavor and spice in my food. The other issue for me is if I pay $25.00 for a meal, I expect to be able to say "wow, this is great!" I haven't had too many meals that I could say that about. They were good, but not spectacular. I have loved my meals at Rivers and Exclamation Point. Both have made me say wow more than once. The Brew Pub is good, (and an excellent choice for casual food or a brew) but the menu is limited and in the 9 years I have been eating there, only a few items have changed. Juicy Lucy's is very good, but again small menu and the price runs $25 - $30. Italian Underground is a favorite of many locals, but I think the food has no flavor. And if you were raised on TexMex, forget trying any of the mexican places around here. Buffalo Valley is also has very good menu, but again, after a few meals, they seem to all taste the same. I can grill a good steak or chicken at home. I want something on the menu that I can't fix at home or has unique flavors or twist to it that I never would have thought of and, I guess I am kinda cheap. I don't want to pay more than $30 for the meal, excluding drinks. I will also mention Finns. We ate there last winter and I enjoyed my meal, but my husband was unimpressed with what he ordered. The service was very, very slow and it was not busy. I can only imagine how bad it would be if it was busy. So, if you listen to me, keep my prejudice in mind and definitely consider the opinions of visitors. Sometimes, the quality of the meal may simply depend on who the cook on duty is that night.

Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Drive from Estes Park to Glenwood Springs

And I failed to tell you that New Castle is 10 miles west of Glenwood.

10. Re: The Drive from Estes Park to Glenwood Springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 18:17