We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Estes Park late July

Dallas,TXD
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
Estes Park late July

I've never been, but my husband loves it there. We're thinking of a last-minute 2-3 day trip for our anniversary---just to get away from the City, hike, relax with nature surrounding us, be pampered, etc.

Any suggestions for a place to stay that may not already be booked? It's kind of last-minute for summer plans. Oh well.

Also, when it's "hot" in Estes Park, is it humid (like it is in the South---Texas, specifically), or is it more like California summer heat (where it's comfortable, especially in the evenings)?

Any other helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if you think there's another place we should look, if Estes Park places are booked, we're open to that as well.

Thanks. We've always enjoyed the feedback and insights through tripadvisor!

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
648 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Estes Park late July

You should be able to find something up there that isn't booked yet. you'll pay more for booking so late, but you can definately find something. My favorite place is the Boulder Brook. THey have private decks on the river and private indoor jacuzzis.

As for the weather, Colorado is super dry.So there won't be any humidity at all,at least nothing like Texas! If anything you'll feel like you're in an oven,your skin will get really dry and you'll drink a ton of water.

If Estes looks too full, some of my other favorite CO spots are Breckenridge, Vail, Ouray, Telluride, Durango and Colorado Springs. Good luck planning!

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Estes Park late July

I can't recommend more highly Romantic Riversong in Estes Park if you're looking for a place to be pampered, in beautiful surroundings. It's a high-end property with some expensive rooms (Wood Nymph and Forget-Me-Not are the best), but it also has smaller rooms that are less expensive. It's close to one of the park entrances and a three-minute drive to town, but when you're there, you'll think you're miles from everywhere! It will be exquisitely cool and dry compared to Dallas, perhaps even chilly at night. Doesn't that sound wonderful? Their website is www.romanticriversong.com. If this appeals to you, I know you'll love it!

Texas
Level Contributor
205 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Estes Park late July

My husband and I have reservations at Fawn Vally Inn. Their rooms look really nice and they have private hot tubs overlooking the river. They're very reasonable. We are also going in late July. If you find that it is hard to get a place in Estes Park you might consider Red River, New Mexico. It's a wonderful small town with the mountains all around. You can go rafting, hiking, take a jeep tour, go shopping, and our favorite, Cowboy Evening with great steaks and music. Great places to eat and only 45 min. from Taos.

Westminster...
Level Contributor
12 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Estes Park late July

I agree with your husband, I love it there, too!

I would recommend the Black Canyon Inn. http://www.blackcanyoninn.com/

No humidity here, it may be hot during the day but it cools off at night, especially up in the mountains. It may be summer, but you'll still need a light jacket at night. (Especially if you're used to the Texas heat!)

If you don't see anything in Estes Park that you like, I would recommend looking in nearby Allens Park.

Hope this helps!

Dallas,TXD
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Estes Park late July

Thanks to all of you who responded so quickly!

We've had something like 25 days of rain, and now the rain is mixing with the summer heat...I feel like I'm stepping into a sauna (and NOT a "dry heat" sauna!) every time I step outdoors in Texas. We decided that no matter what the cost, Estes Park is where we want to be this summer.

I really appreciate your feedback and look forward to reading more comments in the coming weeks as our getaway plans become reality!

New Mexico sounds really nice, too. But I think we'll head out to Colorado this time around!

dallas, texas
Level Contributor
496 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Estes Park late July

you might want to check VRBO.com -- that is where we found our cabin (right on the river). We are from Forney (east of Dallas) and we will be in RMNP soon ! Can't wait ! :)

from one Texan to another -- i totally understand about wanting to get away from this wet, soggy heat ! :)

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,380 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Estes Park late July

You will have a better chance of lodging if you can visit on a non weekend!. The Stanley Hotel has openings from the dates I punched into the search, plus many other motels.

I would get on the phone and start calling places. www.estes-park.com/

Enjoy your trip and I'm sure you will find something! Also check Grand Lake if Estes Park doesn't work out!!

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Estes Park late July

I agree with Shaken Bake that Romantic Riversong is absolutely the "bestest" place to be. My husband and I were married there last year! We couldn't spend a whole week there, financially, so we rented a condo at Windcliff, just outside Estes Park. In fact, my mom and I are going there in just a couple weeks. They have a number of units available for rent. I've found them to be a great location with great service. I think the website is simply www.windcliff.com.

Arvada, Colorado
Level Contributor
935 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Estes Park late July

Ugh! I have family in east Texas and south Texas and I've heard it's been awful with the rain!

We have also stayed at Romantic Riversong and loved it. But a couple who rented one of our cars for an overnight "engagement" thing came back this morning and told us about where they stayed which is just out of Ward (not too far from Estes) and now I'm dieing to go:

http://www.goldlake.com/

She said it looks rustic but from inside they are amazing. She went on and on about the food and also about hot tubs sunk into the ground by the lake.

The whole story was so romantic and sweet.....like I said, we haven't stayed there but she gave it such an incredible review that I'm now wishing we were doing something like that for our anniversary this year instead of just going into Denver for a couple of days.

10. Re: Estes Park late July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 03:16