We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Estes Park Upscale Restaurant?

Swampscott...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Estes Park Upscale Restaurant?

My wife and will be in Estes Park on our anniversary and we would love to go out for a nice meal. Can anyone recommend a fancy upscale restaurant that made you just HAVE to go back?

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Estes Park Upscale Restaurant?

Easy one: Twin Owls Steakhouse. Great food and atmosphere, probably the most upscale restaurant in Estes. http://www.twinowls.net/ Try the elk, my favorite dish.

(Love your screen name, BTW. I know where Swampscott is... I'm a Bostonian with lots of family still in the 'hood.)

Colorado
Level Contributor
321 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Estes Park Upscale Restaurant?

The only other upscale restaurant that comes to mind is the one inside the Stanley Hotel. I"ve only had appetizers and drinks there - so not sure how good the food is, but the atmosphere is nice.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
648 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Estes Park Upscale Restaurant?

Twin Owls Steakhouse.....so good! It's an awesome restaurant with great atmosphere and delicious food!

Kansas
Level Contributor
228 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Estes Park Upscale Restaurant?

RE - Twin Owls RESERVATIONS ...

Do I need to reserve days ahead, day before, morning of, .... ?

How hard is it to get a table here on a weekend night in July ?

(boy, that sounds like a dumb question, but I'm asking!)

Estes Park, Colorado
Level Contributor
622 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Estes Park Upscale Restaurant?

Definitely Twin Owls!

We generally get a reservation to assure we don't have to wait.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Estes Park Upscale Restaurant?

Marys Lake Laodge is the only good meal we ahve had. It was as good as any big city dining. Seafood is the specialty.

Shelia

Germantown Hills...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Estes Park Upscale Restaurant?

I second Mary's Lake Lodge. Wonderful!

Kansas
Level Contributor
228 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Estes Park Upscale Restaurant?

Just back from Estes, tried to find a restaurant you made us "just HAVE to go back", and came away convinced that there isn't one. That was okay, because the mountains were amazing, and that's why we were here. Honestly, the best restaurant meal we had on the trip was in the Denver airport. Twin Owls was a good atmosphere, with eager Eastern Bloc waitresses, but everything was overseasoned or oversauced (this coming from the King of Overdoing It). The meat on the elk kabob was delicious, but it was so overseasoned that it was making my eyes run. The specialty filet was drowned in a sauce which tasted as if someone lost count when adding the Worcestershire sauce, and the result was a salty mess. The lobster tail, in comparison to the salt-sauced steak, was not capable of tasting ... don't know how it was, really, because it was overwhelmed. The scotch and wine were good, and the service excellent. The food didn't make it for us.

Eat before you go to Estes, or when you get back, if you want to go fancy .... Estes is about the mountains, not the food ... and that was okay with us once we figured it out.

florida
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Estes Park Upscale Restaurant?

NotDave: In keeping with the old adage that "no good deed goes unpunished," here's another question for you (with thanks once more for your genorisity in answering all these queries):

I trust your report that the food isn't great (or even good) in Estes. I had heard that from other people whose taste I share who had been there a while ago. Wondering whether you ate anyplace that was ok (for what it was). We're notlooking for upscale or gourmet on this trip. But we've been to many National Parks (and similar destinations) where the food was very good, within the paramaters. I.e. nothing memorable--but fresh and delicious, not over-sauced, over-done, etc. Are there really no simple, fine spots for good fresh food? Did you happen to try any Asian restaurants? Which of the restaurants you tried was least disappointing? Any great bakeries (for breakfast stocking up?) Any great soup and sandwich places?

Thanks!

10. Re: Estes Park Upscale Restaurant?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 16:20