We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thunderstorms in Estes

Orion
Level Contributor
84 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Thunderstorms in Estes

I was looking into the weather in Estes Park nest Sunday through Tuesday. Everyday this week and next they predict Thunderstorms in the afternoon. Is that common? Do we need to bring anything special if we go to RMNP to prepare for these storms? Do people still hike in these conditions? Please advise.

dallas, texas
Level Contributor
478 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thunderstorms in Estes

it is typical for storms to move in each afternoon - they move in and move out pretty quickly. It is best to get up early and go hiking in the a.m. and then you'll miss the rain/storms - besides morning hiking is better for photography, etc. You don't want to be up high if it starts lightening. If you do get caught up there above tree line, get down below tree line as quickly as possible and if you have trekking poles lay them down and move about 30 feet away from them until the lightening passes.

but if you go early, you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Kansas
Level Contributor
228 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thunderstorms in Estes

Just got back from Estes and Rocky. We had an unusual "monsoon" type of system move through, and it rained really hard, for a long time, on that one day. Then it was back to normal ... the morning was wonderful, about 1 PM it clouded up and rained a little bit for awhile, then it was over and that was that. We continued hiking, as we were not up above timberline, and all we needed was a light windbreaker to keep dry. I would recommend wearing combo pants with the zip-off legs so you can turn them into shorts as the day warms, and then back to long pants if it cools off or gets too wet. Also, at the higher lakes it may be windy and chilly, but once you get back down on the trail it will be nice again. Down in town it was a lot nicer yet ... even when the temperatures weren't very high, it felt okay because the air is so dry you don't get the same kind of chill. My wife wore a rugby shirt a few times, and I never even wore long sleeves in town, it was just too nice.

3. Re: Thunderstorms in Estes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 22:16