We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what are some things that I must do ?

Iowa
6 posts
Save Topic
what are some things that I must do ?

I'm staying in Estes park Aug 18-23 with my wife. Were should we go in and near estes park? Denver and Colorado Springs? Are there any trian rides?

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what are some things that I must do ?

Well, you could go as far as Denver and Colo Springs, but aren't you going to concentrate on the park? There are a lot of hiking trails on the Estes side of the park, and for one whole day, you could go across Trail Ridge Road and explore Grand Lake and the west side of the park. If you have to get away, then Boulder's only an hour's drive (Denver is 90 minutes and Colorado Springs 2.5 hours). There's horseback riding in Estes, even fishing outfitters if you like that. Have you researched the many threads in this forum on where to go in RMNP and what to do in Estes? Lots of recent, good information.

Indiana
Level Contributor
171 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what are some things that I must do ?

Personally, I wouldn't spend the time to drive all the way to Denver or Colorado Springs. You can easily find plenty to do in Estes and RMNP to occupy all of your time. I think you need at least 2 days or more to really explore the entire park, especially if you enjoy hiking or wildlife viewing. As the last poster mentioned, you should take Trail Ridge Rd all the way to the other side of the park and explore that area and the Grand Lake area. And you can also find lots of things to do in Estes Park. If you are into shopping, you can easily spend a day walking through town and visiting all of the quaint little shops.

Kansas
Level Contributor
228 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what are some things that I must do ?

Righto ... if you've got 4 full days and 2 partial days, take one day for a drive up Old Fall River Road, down the west side and back on Trail Ridge Road, stopping at all the pull-outs, visitor centers, etc. The rest of the time, hike yourself silly.

As to train rides, we never got that done this year. You could probably do the Georgetown Loop train as part of your day going to the West Side, though it's a pretty good trip on to the south from Grand Lake ... probably another hour-and-a-half, up and over Berthoud Pass, which is very scenic. It depends on how early you head out and how badly you want to ride a train, but I think it would be do-able. Plus, there's not really any reason to rush back to Estes for dinner ... you could grab some sandwiches or other picnic goodies and eat at some scenic spot on the way back over Trail Ridge.

florida
Level Contributor
1,541 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what are some things that I must do ?

notDave: If you're still monitoring, please mention the names of the restaurants you consider the least mediocre in Estes Park. I know that you weren't impressed by anything there (nor were the two members of my family who visited a while ago-- they thought eveything was mediocre at best, but don't remember the names of anything). Is there anywhere for lunch or dinner that's at least "ok"? Say on par with the "better" chains like Carraba's and Outback? Or is everything truly sub-par? Thank you!

Indiana
Level Contributor
171 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what are some things that I must do ?

I did not find everything mediocre in Estes Park - I thought several restaurants were pretty good. I recommend the Dunraven Inn downtown for Italian food (I believe there's another Dunraven Inn outside of town that is fancier). Molly B's isn't fancy, but it had pretty good steak. For breakfast or brunch I recommend The Egg & I.

Indiana
Level Contributor
171 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what are some things that I must do ?

I forgot to mention Nicky's Steakhouse. It has a little nicer atmosphere than some other places (it's still casual though) and the food was really good. It is one of the few restaurants that stay open in the off-season and I ended up eating there twice during my last visit. It also has good fried chicken and desserts.

dallas, texas
Level Contributor
504 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what are some things that I must do ?

how about do the ghost tour of stanley hotel :)

you could ride the tram to the top of hte mountain

you could go south on Hwy7 to Lilly Lake for a picnic - i believe the Baldpate Inn for lunch is by there as well-- it is a really pretty drive (10 minutes) from downtown

definitely hike -- you'lll miss a huge part of the park and a lot of its beauty if you don't hike. spiritoftherockies.com is a good place for hiking info

definitely drive Trail Ridge Road and go up the one way Old Fall River Road and stop at the alluvian fan -- beautiful !

horseback riding was a lot of fun too.

in the evening go back out towards sheep lake (in park) and see big horn sheep

8. Re: what are some things that I must do ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Estes Park