We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boulder Colorado or Colorado Springs?

maryland
Level Contributor
390 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Boulder Colorado or Colorado Springs?

We are coming to Estes Park for a Peace Corp Reunion from July 31st - August 3rd with my two boys ( 2 and 6yrs) and my husband. We are staying at the Trout Haven Ranch. Has anyone stayed here before and have any opinion on this property?

Also, we were thinking of extending our trip and may be spending more time in Estes or visiting either Boulder or Colorado Springs. Is Denver worth touring?

We do not have that much time, may be two additional nights. Arriving in Denver on July 29th and leaving on August 3rd. However, from July 31st-August 3rd we will be in Estes park. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Also, is the train ride recommended? Which one?

Regards

SAQ

Colorado Western...
Destination Expert
for Ouray, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Montrose
Level Contributor
666 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boulder Colorado or Colorado Springs?

Since your time is a bit limited, and you have 2 young children with you, I'd suggest a visit to Boulder rather than Colorado Springs to reduce the amount of time spent driving.

Boulder is quite scenic & different from Estes Park, and with the CU campus in town, there is always a lot going on.

Not sure what train ride you are referring to...Durango to Silverton narrow gauge is the main tourist attraction, and you are many, many hours drive away from that part of the state. I don't think young children would find the ride interesting for more than a short portion of it, anyway.

maryland
Level Contributor
390 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boulder Colorado or Colorado Springs?

Thanks for your response. I was thinking of the train rides in Georgetown. There is also one in Pike Peaks.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
648 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boulder Colorado or Colorado Springs?

Since you are going to be a bit short on time, I would probably suggest Boulder, as it is closer to Estes. There's plenty to do in Boulder and it is also close to Denver, so if you run out of things to do, you could always go to Denver for an afternoon. Denver is at least worth a drive through, it is a very beautiful city with lots to offer!

As for the train ride, you could do the Georgetown train, it's relatively short, but you get to see quite a bit and it would be fun for the kids! And it wouldn't be as far as driving to the Springs, it's a shorter drive. Hope this helps!

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boulder Colorado or Colorado Springs?

OK, I am throwing out an idea you had not considered... Why not head thru RMNP and down to Summit County. There is soooo much to do in the area, and it is truly beautiful, but different from Estes Park. You will only be about 90 minutes from the Denver airport. The Georgetown train ride is great, do the mine tour too; It is about 20 minutes from the center of Summit County. I would suggest staying along Lake Dillon in Frisco. Have a look at some of the forum posts under Breckenridge, Frisco, Keystone, Dillon, Silverthorne for ideas of activities in the area. Have Fun!

Estes Park, Colorado
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Boulder Colorado or Colorado Springs?

trout haven is on the river on the west side of town.they have a stocked pond[with trout]i believe they charge a buck an inch for all fish you pull out its kinda like fishing in a bathtub. they have put some upgrades to the property lately

maryland
Level Contributor
390 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boulder Colorado or Colorado Springs?

Thanks everyone for your response. I think we will stay in Estes Park and try to do some activities. Has anyone stayed at the River Stone Resort and is there a difference btw staying right on the thompson river versus falls river?

7. Re: Boulder Colorado or Colorado Springs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 13:17