We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rocky national park April

Which Estes Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indiana
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Rocky national park April

We will be out visiting the week of April 20. Will all of the roads be open? Entrances? This is our first visit so any info for this time of the year will be helpful. We are 50 years olds who can hike 8-12 miles a day @ 6,500 ft. so any hiking tips will also be helpful. Thanks

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,996 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rocky national park April

All roads should be open with the exception of Trail Ridge Road - you can drive part way up but not all the way over. Most of the hiking trails may still have snow and definitely mud so take that into consideration. You'll want to dress in layers and wear waterproof outerwear. April is a wet month (today we're getting a rain/snow mix). Make sure you take plenty of water to drink on your hikes.

Here's a website with good info on hikes in RMNP:

www.rocky.mountain.national-park.com/hike.htm

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
624 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rocky national park April

I was just in the Park yesterday for a photo shoot and everything was in great shape. Trail Ridge Road is closed and most likely will be when you are out here so you most likely will not be able to drive the entire way through the park. That's ok though, because a lot of the great hiking is still accessible. All the other roads were dry and clear.

Colorado's weather is crazy in the spring. There is a chance that right before you come, or while you are here, it will snow alot, or it could be 60 degrees and sunny. For the most part, the hiking trails will be snow covered. Depending on when the most recent snow was and how far you plan on hiking in, you'll want snow shoes.

I was hiking in the Park last weekend and definitely needed snow shoes from the Bear Lake trailhead. You might not need them for your first 1/2 mile or so, but eventually, if you get 8-12 miles up a trail, you'll need them! There are places in Estes Park where you can rent them if you don't own any.

As for hiking, there are 3 trailheads that I love which will be accessible. Bear Lake TH, Glacier Gorge TH and the Fern Lake TH. They all have wonderful hiking in varying lengths that you can use. I would recommend you look into Mills Lake, The Loch, Cub Lake and Odessa Lake as your destinations. They are all accessible from one of the trailheads I mentioned. Hope this helps!

Houston, TX
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rocky national park April

I'm heading up to Estes park Friday. And I am use to temp in the 80's. so this is going to be a fun trip :) I fly in to Denver tomorrow and then we are driving to Estes Park. My boyfriend is a photographer so that is our goal to get some good shots. So any ideas for Resturants, lodging, spots to take pic's etc. will be of grat use. THnaks :)

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,996 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rocky national park April

Sunkyst, it'll be fun if you like snow. You will probably be driving in it! There's a winter storm watch starting Thursday night. We could get a foot of snow up here.... maybe more. It's too soon to tell how this storm will set up but it "could" be the big snow we've been waiting for all winter. Then again, maybe not.

BTW, photo ops are endless - it's all scenic. Enjoy!

ALERT: A WINTER STORM WATCH is in effect beginning Thursday evening at 6:00 PM until Saturday afternoon at 12:00 PM for Cent./S. Weld Co., Central, Eastern Denver Metro Area, Ft.Collins, Loveland, N. Weld Co., Jefferson and Douglas Co. Foothills, Larimer and Boulder Co. Foothills, Rocky Mtn Nat Park, Summit Co., Winter Park, Berthoud Pass, Loveland Pass, Indian Peaks, Mt Evans, W. Denver Suburbs and Boulder.

Houston, TX
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rocky national park April

Are there any must see plances to go while we are there that you know of?

6. Re: Rocky national park April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 22:19