We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see and photograph in the RMNP area??

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
846 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
What to see and photograph in the RMNP area??

I have been to RMNP once and will probably take my wife there this summer. We are both avid amateur photographers and would fly into Denver and go up via Granby and Grand Lake and stay in Estes Park. My question is are there and suggestions for good photographic places along the way or around the park?

Thanks, Kent

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to see and photograph in the RMNP area??

The park is chock full of photo ops, so don't worry about running out of subject material! My favorite spots to photograph involve water, and there are plenty of places you can walk or hike to to get some gorgeous shots. Check out this website: thespiritoftherockies.net/spirit/HikingRMNP.… for details on many hikes in the park.

On the east side, be sure not to miss Sprague Lake, on the road to Bear Creek. It's a quick walk to the far side of the lake for some stunning views of Halletts Peak reflected in the water. Lots of wildlife congregate around here, so if you're industrious and get up early, you'll be sure to get some memorable photos.

A longer hike would be to The Loch, past Alberta Falls (trailhead near Bear Lake). That is very picturesque and worth the effort. The drive over Trail Ridge Road is spectacular and you'll be pulling over into every scenic view area, I assure you! One of the best panoramic shots I ever stitched together is from up there.

Look for moose on the Grand Lake side of the park - hang out near a pond or stream and hope you catch a glimpse.

There are so many more places to recommend, so just get out and explore and bring lots of memory cards (or film) with you!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
351 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to see and photograph in the RMNP area??

You will definitely not run out of photographic places. There are pull-outs when you drive up from Granby to Grand Lake that are great for photos of the lakes. Another place in Grand Lake that is good for photos is the little park (Point Park) at the end of Lakeside Drive. There is a little parking lot you can park at then walk over into the picnic area for great views of Grand Lake and Mount Baldy. Another great pic place is the Rapids Lodge. Go over to the riverside and it's very picturesque. You can usually spot the moose munching on the willows in the Kawauneechee Valley (from Grand Lake up Trail Ridge Road), especially at dusk. The Coyote Valley trail is great for viewing elk and getting pictures of the valley. It's a flat, very easy to hike trail. Look out for mountain goats/sheep on top of Trail Ridge Road. They aren't easy to spot but sometimes you do get to see them up there. There are also plenty of pull off stops on Trail Ridge Road. As the other poster said, Sprague Lake on the Estes Park side is gorgeous. You should also see plenty of elk. Enjoy, that's one of my favorite drives in the entire world!

Texas
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to see and photograph in the RMNP area??

Agreed...you will find AMBLE beautiful photo ops. Here are a few other suggestions....

1. Birch Cabin - this burned out (stone struture remains)cabin is located on the hill right above the police station/library in town. It is a short walk to the cabin and you have great views of the Front Range, town and some interesting shots through the remaining cabin "windows" etc. The parking lot for the cabin trail is basically located across the street from the Stanley Hotel. Go to the Estes Park Historical Musuem for some interesting background on the house, the family that lived there and what caused the fire.

2. MacGregor Historical Ranch - great old barns, farm structures with a backdrop of gorgeous mountain views. Working ranch but public welcome..there is a museuem on grounds. Some great shots up the Black Canyon as well. About a five minute drive from downtown EP.

3. Mountain Side Lodge on the grounds of the YMCA of the Rockies...stop in either the administration building or Sweet Memorial Program building for directions...wonderful old/historic stone lodge set in an isolated area of the grounds.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
652 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to see and photograph in the RMNP area??

I'm a professional photographer and I'm up in the park all the time. My all time favorite spot to go is Moraine Park. It's such an amazing spot, I could stay there all day!

I fully recommend every other spot that has been mentioned by the other posters as well. Basically, you can pull your car over just about anywhere in the Park and take a beautiful pictures!

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3,656 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to see and photograph in the RMNP area??

Check out the RMNP ranger guided hike and walk listing when you get there. We did a ranger program photo hike with a professional photographer from Kodak who was working at the National Park all summer. You wouldn't need the photography technique tips which were wonderful for hobbiests like us, but you might want to check out something like this anyway to get tips about where to go for fabulous photo opportunities from someone who is exploring the park week in and week out.

6. Re: What to see and photograph in the RMNP area??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2009, 05:20