We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Altitude problems while horse back riding

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
5 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Altitude problems while horse back riding

I am planning a trip from Ohio to Colorado for the September. I would like to take the Breakfast horse ride from Sombrero Ranch into the Rocky Mountains. I was planning to do it on our 2nd day in Colorado. But do you think that I should wait a few days to become accustomed to the altitude? Or will we not go high enough for this to be a problem?

We recently took a trip up Mt. Washington in New Hampshire. I was fine until I climbed steps. Then I became out of breath. I am concerned that this may happen again in Rocky Mountains.

What do you suggest?

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
648 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Altitude problems while horse back riding

The elevation in Estes is rather low compared to other mountain towns. While you're still well over a mile above sea-level, you're definitely not at a considerably high elevation. Most of the trail rides don't climb too much in elevation. And riding a horse isn't as difficult as climbing stairs!

That being said, the air here is still thinner and you will most likely find yourself more easily out of breath. You can live here your whole life and still get easily winded doing physical activity. Getting accustomed to the altitude makes sense for avoiding altitude sickness (headaches, nausea etc.) but it will not prevent you from getting out of breath while doing a physical activity. Hope that makes sense!

If you are concerned about acclimating, spend a day or two in Denver before heading to Estes Park. You can also wait another day or two for the trail ride if you feel like that would help you out.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
351 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Altitude problems while horse back riding

One other point is that you should take along or drink alot of water to avoid altitude sickness. It does help!

3. Re: Altitude problems while horse back riding

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2010, 06:18