We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Estes Park in May

South Florida
Level Contributor
272 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
Estes Park in May

We only visited Estes Park once in March and loved it, however our next trip will be in May for our anniversary. What can we expect by the 3rd week of May as far as weather. I've heard it is very muddy. Does that limit what you can do in the park?

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
11,220 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Estes Park in May

You can expect just about any kind of weather in May from warm and sunny to snowy (the latter being less likely but possible). Some trails may still be muddy from the snow melt but I don't think that it should limit what you can do in the Park. However, Trail Ridge Road normally does not open until Memorial Day weekend. You will not be able to drive over it unless we don't get much snow in the spring, in which case they could possibly open it sooner.

There are a few websites that list historical weather data, if I remember what they are I'll post them.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
11,220 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Estes Park in May

Temperatures should be in the 50s- 60s for daytime highs and 30s for lows. Check out some of these sites for more info:

rockymountainnationalpark.com/pages/weather.…

http://www.estes-park.com/go/spring.html

www.intellicast.com/Local/History.aspx…

Edited: 24 January 2010, 20:48
Denver, CO
Level Contributor
366 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Estes Park in May

Basically you will need to hang low (stay at lower elevations). Don't plan on hiking Long's Peak or driving Trail Ridge as there will be too much snow. In fact, you can likely still snowshoe at Bear Lake. The weather in town should be nice but you will surely need a jacket at night and a lodge or cabin that has a fireplace will surely come in handy. Coloradans will be wearing shorts and some tourists will be bundled up. May is beautiful for pictures as the high peaks will still have plenty of snow. There will be less crowds too which is nice.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Estes Park in May

I am also coming to Estes Park, but in early May. I see that you mentioned that Trail Rdg Rd will be closed. Is the entire road closed or can you drive a ways and hike the rest? I'd like to get as high up as possible to get the breathtaking views. What do you recommend?

Arvada, Colorado
Level Contributor
935 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Estes Park in May

It's closed down low from the summit. That would be a very long hike.

You won't be lacking in views, so I wouldn't worry about that!

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
11,220 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Estes Park in May

You can drive as far as Many Parks Curve. Great views from there.

www.rmnp.com/RMNP-areas-trailridge.html

7. Re: Estes Park in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2010, 05:15