We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best scenic railway in Co.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best scenic railway in Co.

What are some of the best scenic railways?

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,145 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best scenic railway in Co.

www.touristrailways.com/namerica/COLORADO/ Personally I've heard a lot of great things about the Durango Silverton Train but have yet to go on any trains in CO. I hope the link provides you with some helpful synopses to better decide which one is for you.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,500 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best scenic railway in Co.

I would say that all the scenic railways in Colorado are great, including the Amtrak route from Denver to Glenwood Springs or Grand Junction.

Most would say that the Durango-Silverton narrow gauge route is the ultimate but some would argue for the Cumbres-Toltec as number one.

The Cripple Creek-Victor route is only 4 miles long, so a good one for kids and those short on time, but sometimes a bit of a disappointment for railroad buffs.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best scenic railway in Co.

I think I have narrowed it down to Durango-Silverton or Cumbres-Toltec.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,500 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best scenic railway in Co.

Personally, I'd pick Silverton if you can't do both.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,606 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best scenic railway in Co.

I think if you have kids the Cumbres/Toltec is a better match because you can customize it some and they have some shorter runs. We did that one when our kids were little and it worked out fine. Plus you can actually get up closer to the trains and there is more of a museum there. Both the Cumbres/Toltec and the Durango/Silverton train offer you a great trip, stunning scenery and a once in a lifetime opportunity to ride the old steam engines through the great Rocky Mountains. How can you go wrong on either? Link for Cumbres/Toltec is http://www.cumbrestoltec.com/ (be sure to have your speakers on loud and click on the sound button on the screen) and for Durango go to http://www.durangotrain.com/ for more info. Hope you have a wonderful time.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,286 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best scenic railway in Co.

With kids the town of Durango is much better, so I would recommend the Durango-Silverton. My 9 year old enjoyed the ride up and visiting Silverton. But if we did it again, we would take the bus back to Durango. Just too much train. You also would be close to Mesa Verde National Park...well worth a visit with kids. My son has been there from age 1 to 13!

Chama and Antonito are the stations for the Cumbres Toltec. Really not much there hotel or restaurant wise.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,606 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best scenic railway in Co.

I met a man who was taking all of the train rides available in Colorado one summer. He was having a great time and said that all of them were great, but all were distinctive. We are so fortunate to have such a great number to choose from and really, it just becomes a matter of taste, time and money. Makes me wish I could take off and just do that type of trip myself.

Colorado Western...
Destination Expert
for Ouray, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Montrose
Level Contributor
663 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best scenic railway in Co.

I agree with misspWestSlope. The scenery from the Cumbres-Toltec train is what I'd call "standard" Colorado scenery -- pretty, but you'll see scenery of that sort from a car driving nearly anywhere in the mountains.

The Durango-Silverton line, however, passes through what I consider to be the most spectacular part of Colorado -- the San Juan Mountain range. In my opinion, there's no contest here.

Ouray, Colorado
Level Contributor
629 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best scenic railway in Co.

FYI,

Last month, Parade Magazine ran an article called "America's Greatest Train Rides"

parade.com/news/…

You will find Durango Silverton Narrow gauge in that list.

I suspect the writer of the article was a real train aficionado :-)

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
517 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best scenic railway in Co.

Durango-Silverton is really quite beautiful, and I'd highly recommend it. I've also taken the train from downtown to Winter Park which I've heard no longer runs, and that's a pretty train ride, but doesn't compare to Durango-Silverton IMO. One additonal is the Pike Peak Cog Rail train from CO Springs-ish to the top of Pikes Peak. This is a very cool train ride (requiring reservations if I remember correctly) that puts you at the top of Pikes Peak. (the place where My Country Tis of Thee was thought up) There's something cool about arriving at the top of a 14,000 foot peak while some have hiked the route, and you're not out of breath, sweaty, and out of water. ;)

Get answers to your questions about Estes Park