We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Estes Pk to Alma??

home
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Topic
From Estes Pk to Alma??

We are coming out 7/28 to 8/3 first 2 nights staying outside SMNP and then down to Alma or FairPlay area, renting a vacation house for the remainder. Family of 4, teen boys ages 19 & 17. Want to be central ( not too much daytime driving) so we can do: whitewater rafting; ATV rental; a few hours one day on horseback; and a day rental Jeep for back-roading. Are we more centrally located for these activities going to South Park area? Any suggestions?

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,796 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Estes Pk to Alma??

I suppose you are more central - but you will always be driving. ALma/Fairplay area are tiny towns where the working local folk live. Why don't you look at a satellite image on google maps to get a better feel of the area.

I am not suggesting that everyone should go to a resort town for vacation, just making sure you are aware of the little spot you will be visiting. I actually think Frisco or Breck would be a better choice so the boys can wander off on their own - close to the lake, hiking, down town shops and restaurants (no drinking and driving).

Frisco has a jeep rental place plus atv rentals, there are stables in Breck and a cattle drive ranch just a half hour north of Silverthorne, rafting can be done right in town (basically) on the Blue River - if it is running - otherwise you will be headed to Buena Vista (most likely).

http://tinyurl.com/FairplayView

Colorado Western...
Destination Expert
for Ouray, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Montrose
Level Contributor
671 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Estes Pk to Alma??

I agree entirely with 1FourFun...stay in Frisco or Breckenridge instead of Alma / Fairplay, and you'll be much closer to the activities you are looking for!

home
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: From Estes Pk to Alma??

Thank you very much. This is just the type of feedback we needed. I appreciate it.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,478 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Estes Pk to Alma??

As I posted on your other post...also check out Buena Vista and Salida. So much to see and do there. Rafting, fishing, hiking, jeeping etc... Also Mt Princeton Hot Springs and St Elmo Ghost town. Plus a day trip over to Aspen via Independence Pass.

The teens will not like the isolation of Alma/Fairplay... Check the photos at the bottom of this link... beautiful but that is it http://www.realalma.com/

Both towns are at a very high elevation (around 10,000 ft) and I can feel it and I live at 7000'!! Buena Vista is at around 8000' and Salida is a bit lower at around 7000'

home
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: From Estes Pk to Alma??

We found another place in Twin Lakes. I was told that it is a fairly straight shot to Buena Vista so it should take us under a 1/2 hour to get to there. The ATV and Jeep rentals are out of Buena Vista. Do you think this is a better choice? I do appreciate your help.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,796 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Estes Pk to Alma??

Twin Lakes is beautiful but another isolated spot.

Check the satellite... http://tinyurl.com/TwinLakesView

I think Salida and BV are good options as well. But my first choice would still be Frisco or Breck, mostly for the boys.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,620 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Estes Pk to Alma??

Twin Lakes is beautiful but like 1FourFun said not much there. Especially since the Inn of The Black Wolf closed. That was about the only place in town for a meal and beverage.

If you want more secluded than the town of Breck proper you might look at the Blue River area just outside of Breckenridge

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…a6275

Though you'd give up being able to walk to restaurants, shopping, main street.

home
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: From Estes Pk to Alma??

I really appreciate the response. We aren't looking to go into town for a meal, that is why we are renting a house. The boys will be fine for 4 evenings playing card games and watching videos. Funny as it might seem, we will actually be talking and laughing together, I've traveled with them before :) I will look into the place you've suggested, it's just so many places are over $200 a night or they are already booked. It is not for lack of trying to find something closer.

home
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: From Estes Pk to Alma??

Thanks again for the response. I do know we are a ways out. Please read the response to the next messages as I would be saying the same thing to you. I will do the Google Earth.

10. Re: From Estes Pk to Alma??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Estes Park