We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Estimated 2010 fall foliage in Estes Park

Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Estimated 2010 fall foliage in Estes Park

Hello. We're planning a trip to Estes Park around the 2nd or 3rd week of September 2010. Understanding the foliage change is often difficult to predict, I wondered if anyone would be able to share their experience for this time span.

Thanks so much!

Colorado Western...
Destination Expert
for Ouray, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Montrose
Level Contributor
666 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Estimated 2010 fall foliage in Estes Park

The most common "peak" week for colors in the high country is the last week of September, so the later in the month you can visit, the better your chances of seeing plenty of golden Aspen in Rocky Mountain National Park and surroundings.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
11,220 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Estimated 2010 fall foliage in Estes Park

The 2nd week of September is early. WingLady is right, in this area the last week of September is usually the peak. There can even be good color into the first week of October, depending on weather conditions.

Estes Park, Colorado
Level Contributor
622 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Estimated 2010 fall foliage in Estes Park

We experienced RMNP the third week of Sept 2009. The Aspen were beautiful. 4 out of 7 days we could not drive past Rainbow Curve due to snow. A nice blend all week between Autumn and early Winter scenes.

In 2008, we were in RMNP the fourth week of Sept. and most of the Aspen had lost their leaves with the exception of the grove near the RMNP Museum which was just beginning to change.

If I had to choose, I'd select the third week of September. You are bound to see some Autumn foliage then.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
11,220 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Estimated 2010 fall foliage in Estes Park

That's interesting. What a difference a few miles make! I live ~40 miles south of RMNP. I photograph the aspen along Peak to Peak to RMNP almost every fall. The aspen had just started to turn the 3rd week of Sept. and we had our peak color (with lots of orange) the first week of October 2008.

Arvada, Colorado
Level Contributor
935 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Estimated 2010 fall foliage in Estes Park

If this weather keeps up we might expect it in August ;-)

Kidding obviously (I hope).

It can be all over the place. We traditionally camp the last week they take reservations which is usually the last week of September. Some years it's been peak, and other years it's been over with.

6. Re: Estimated 2010 fall foliage in Estes Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2011, 05:17