We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good anniversary getaway for late Sept?

Chicago
Level Contributor
281 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Good anniversary getaway for late Sept?

My husband and I are thinking of spending our 20th anniversary in RMNP in late September. We've never been to Colorado in the fall and would love to see the elk and trees, and could easily fly in/out of Denver for a long weekend. Flying with tent gear would be a hassle, otherwise we'd camp at Moraine Park. What's the next best option? Can anyone point us in the right direction toward a good cabin or lodge? We're not really interested in staying in downtown Estes Park, which is a bit more crowded than we'd like.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Moraine Park Campground
Moraine Park Campground
155 Reviews
Estes Park, CO
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,526 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good anniversary getaway for late Sept?

RMNP will be a great location.

Also consider flying on to Durango and stay in Durango, Pagosa Springs or Ouray. Or Grand Junction and possibly a stay in Moab.

Totally off track is to fly into Phoenix for a stay in beautiful Sedona, AZ

Mentioned in this post
Durango
Durango
Colorado
Ouray
Ouray
Colorado
Moab
Moab
Utah
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Pagosa Springs...
Destination Expert
for Durango, Pagosa Springs
Level Contributor
418 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good anniversary getaway for late Sept?

I've used Colorado Directory, with good results, to the locate the perfect cabin - www.coloradodirectory.com/estespark. You can search by amenity, location, etc. I've stayed in the Alpenzell Inn, which we enjoyed - but it's closer to downtown.

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good anniversary getaway for late Sept?

There's a B & B called The Anniversary Inn that looks appealing. Otherwise look for a cabin on www.vrbo.com.

Sue

Chicago
Level Contributor
281 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good anniversary getaway for late Sept?

That's funny- we were at our local pool last night talking about how nice it would be if we were actually in Ouray....

I'll look into all the suggestions. Thanks very much.

Mentioned in this post
Ouray
Ouray
Colorado
Estes Park, Colorado
Level Contributor
5 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good anniversary getaway for late Sept?

Estes Park is beautiful in late September. The aspen are changing. Elk are bulging. Check out the B and B Riversong for an annversary that is special. Perhaps go to the Inn at Glenn Haven for a truly romantic dinner. You will love both. Both are treasures that few know about.

Mentioned in this post
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Chicago
Level Contributor
281 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good anniversary getaway for late Sept?

Thank you- they both look great.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
667 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good anniversary getaway for late Sept?

Estes is a perfect place for your anniversary in Sept! It's so beautiful that time of year! My 3 favorite spots are the Romantic Riversong, the Della Terra mountain chateau (pricey but worth every penny!) and the Woodlands on Fall River. All 3 are beautiful spots that would be perfect for you!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Estes
Hotel Estes
398 Reviews
Estes Park, CO
Romantic RiverSong Bed and Breakfast Inn
Romantic RiverSong Bed...
457 Reviews
Estes Park, CO
Della Terra Mountain Chateau
Della Terra Mountain...
333 Reviews
Estes Park, CO
The Woodlands on Fall River
The Woodlands on Fall...
301 Reviews
Estes Park, CO
rky
Estes Park, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park
Level Contributor
628 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good anniversary getaway for late Sept?

Well, I guess I'd better toss out my favorite lodging in Estes - Black Canyon Inn. I'm guessing they will already be booked for a weekend in September though. If they do have an opening, it would certainly be worth considering! I stayed in the rustic cabin for part of my honeymoon years ago. One of the hidden gems with stunning scenery and it is less than a mile from downtown Estes Park.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Estes
Hotel Estes
398 Reviews
Estes Park, CO
Black Canyon Inn
Black Canyon Inn
296 Reviews
Estes Park, CO
Downtown Estes Park
Downtown Estes Park
620 Reviews
Estes Park, CO
9. Re: Good anniversary getaway for late Sept?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2011, 05:16