We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Estes Park - July with 2 boys

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
356 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Estes Park - July with 2 boys

Hello!

I am going to be staying in Estes Park in July with my 2 boys - ages 11 & 13. Is there anything we should not miss while we are there? It appears that there is LOTS to do, but would like to narrow it down to things that would be a lot of interest to boys that age. Thanks!

rky
Estes Park, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park
Level Contributor
627 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Estes Park - July with 2 boys

As long as they enjoy outdoor activities, there is plenty to do. Consider a fly fishing trip and some hiking. You could even hire a guide to hike with you to one of the high mountain lakes (Dream Lake, the Loch, etc.) where everyone can fish surrounded by stunning scenery. I recommend Estes Anglers – which is conveniently located to your lodging.

Drive over Trail Ridge Road to Grand Lake one day. Look for wildlife along the way. There are several nice pullouts along the drive where you can get out and do some short walks.

You can also check with the YMCA of the Rockies to see what programs they have going on at the time you visit. The Y has a huge campus and a lot to offer folks of any age.

Horseback riding is always popular. I enjoy the trips out of Moraine Park and Glacier Creek . . . but I have had positive feedback from all the local stables, too, so you really can’t go wrong there.

Have a great trip!

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,179 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Estes Park - July with 2 boys

Ditto to everything rky said. How about some white water rafting? You can book trips on the Poudre River from Estes Park or just drive yourself down beautiful Big Thompson Canyon to the rafting companies in Fort Collins. Get reservations in advance.

When you travel Trail Ridge Road (you can get a $2 guide book at the park visitor centers), do not miss the Alluvial Fan and be sure to see Adams Falls on the Grand Lake side. Gem Lake is another trail that tweens and teens enjoy. It is not the lake but the gigantic rock formations they find fascinating. Plus there is that getting to walk to the edge of high mountain ridges for great views of the mountains and Estes Park down below.

Flower Mound, Texas
Level Contributor
50 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Estes Park - July with 2 boys

Wish,

We're in the exact same boat (boys aged 13 and 11). I grew up going to Estes yearly but neither my wife, nor my boys, have ever been there. I'm planning on a one day trip up Fall River and back down Trail Ridge. I'm also going to be looking at climbing as that is fun, and would be good as another way to burn off some energy. I've hiked Gem Lake several times but didn't find it to be great.

The rafting idea is a good one, and I'm thinking of doing some "city" stuff one day like mini-golfing with the boys while my wife shops. We'll also do some fishing as the boys love doing that.

Rky,

Thanks for recommendation of Estes Anglers...fishing Dream Lake sounds great.

-Crip

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
329 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Estes Park - July with 2 boys

Definitely try some white water rafting. We went to Glacier National Park with my step kids (1 girl / 1 boy) about 5 years ago and they were 11 and 13 years old at the time. It was definitely their absolute favorite part of the trip. They also enjoyed the hiking, but I wish we would have done another rafting trip or would have done a full day trip. Prior to the trip, they were both nervous about it, but they truly loved it. In regards to hiking, they seemed to enjoy trails where we saw wild life and water falls. Also, I would not consider my step kids to be the outdoorsy type. Even with that, they loved the trip, and Caroline, the youngest always talks about going back when she is grown.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,179 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Estes Park - July with 2 boys

Crip, you noticed I said it was NOT the lake. My nieces age 10 and 13 love the big boulders on the Gem Lake Trail and along Lumpy Ridge. They also like being able to go right to the edge and seeing the vast views below. Once they did this, they were fine to miss the lake.

Flower Mound, Texas
Level Contributor
50 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Estes Park - July with 2 boys

Fv,

Yup, I saw that. I just recall not liking the hike that much (despite the pics my mom still has of me smiling)!

Estes Park, Colorado
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Estes Park - July with 2 boys

I would recommend horseback riding, hiking in RMNP and driving over Trailridge Road. You could also do a guided fly fishing trip with Kirks Fly Shop...very friendly guides and a great idea for the boys!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
356 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Estes Park - July with 2 boys

Thanks for all of the great input everyone!! So many things to choose from, and such a great trip to plan! Can't wait to get there! I'll be sure to post a trip report!!

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Estes Park - July with 2 boys

I would recommend hiking in the park, check out the things at the YMCA for sure, they have zip lines tennis putt putt frisbee golf all kinds of things. Also there is a fly fishing shop there Sasquatch fly fishing much more affordable than any other shops in town and the guides do a great job!

Kansas
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Estes Park - July with 2 boys

Where ar u staying?