We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trail Ridge Road in Mid May?

Which Estes Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trail Ridge Road in Mid May?

We will be traveling to Estes Park the week before Memorial Day, which I believe is when Trail Ridge Road typically opens.

It seems like this has been a rather warm winter in most places. I was wondering for those who have been to this area if you think there is a good chance TRR will be open when we are there?

rky
Estes Park, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park
Level Contributor
624 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trail Ridge Road in Mid May?

It is still too early to mak an educated guess whether TRR will be open the week before Memorial Day Weekend. Estes Park & RMNP get most of the season's snow in March and April.

Even then, it could still be too early to tell. We had considerable snow in April and May last year which kept TRR closed longer than usual and made hiking in the higher elevations tricky well into the summer season.

It will be best to check back in April. RMNP will usually post updates on their website and sometimes on social media sites like Facebook and Twitter.

I'll keep my finger crossed that TRR will be open while you are here!

Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trail Ridge Road in Mid May?

thanks, rky! yea that was one of things i am most looking forward to, hopefully it will be open.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,022 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trail Ridge Road in Mid May?

The earliest TRR was open all the way to Grand Lake was May 6, 2002. Usually by mid-May it is open to Rainbow Curve. As rky said, it all depends on the weather and the snow plows. Even once TRR is officially open, it can be closed again temporarily for inclement weather.

Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trail Ridge Road in Mid May?

Thanks for all the helpful advice. If Trail Ridge Road is partly open, are there any detours or ways around, or do most people simply turn around where it is closed?

My goal (and i've never been to colorado) is when we leave Estes Park, to take TRR Rt 34 to Rt 40, and from there go on to Mount Evans Scenic Byway. Is this even possible?

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,022 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trail Ridge Road in Mid May?

The Mount Evans Scenic Byway is not open to the summit until Memorial Day Weekend either. www.mountevans.com/ The road as far as Summit Lake may be open sooner and would certainly be worth the drive.

To get to the Mount Evans Scenic Byway from Estes Park when TRR is not open to Grand Lake, you would take the Peak to Peak Scenic Byway (7 to 72) back to I-70. To see this route and for directions to Grand Lake when TRR is not open, see this link.

nps.gov/romo/…trr_alternate_routes_2009.pdf

Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trail Ridge Road in Mid May?

Dang, it looks like we chose one week too early to go. Thanks for the info, we will probably take one of those alternative routes.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,249 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trail Ridge Road in Mid May?

You can always drive over Loveland Pass for some spectacular views...

Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trail Ridge Road in Mid May?

@Babalax - Interesting, thank you! We will check it out for sure.

9. Re: Trail Ridge Road in Mid May?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2013, 10:19