We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildfire update

Tulsa, OK
Level Contributor
144 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Wildfire update

We are scheduled to arrive Saturday in Estes Park for a week-long vacation. I was hoping that somebody could update me on the status of the fire. From what I've read, there hasn't been much of an effect on Estes Park, but I realize a lot can change in a few days.

florida
Level Contributor
459 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wildfire update

I arrive Sunday. Spoke with a neighbor yesterday who told me (per another neighbor) that the plume of smoke is clearly visible, but the fire was traveling northeast and was currently northeast of EP already (if I understood him correctly).

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
11,349 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wildfire update

The only impact from the fire could be some smoke haze. Today was clear in Estes Park and RMNP. I just got off the phone to a friend in Estes and she said they have not had any smell of smoke since the fire started.

Rangers at RMNP post updates and comments on both Twitter and Facebook. You can also look at the live webcams from RMNP.

www.nps.gov/romo/photosmultimedia/index.htm

Edited: 12 June 2012, 23:06
Colorado
Level Contributor
11,655 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wildfire update

And here is a map of the location of the fire in relation to Estes Park (again):

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Edited: 12 June 2012, 23:12
Tulsa, OK
Level Contributor
144 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wildfire update

Thank you so much for the help!

Boynton Beach...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wildfire update

Wednesday morning in Estes Park and there is absolutely no smell of smoke and the sky could not be clearer. The biggest impact on Estes Park so far, is that the sunsets could not be more beautiful because of the sun reflecting on the far away smoke.

We all hope the fire will soon be extinguished and that no additional lives or property will be lost.

rky
Estes Park, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park
Level Contributor
628 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wildfire update

East winds today may bring some smoke into the valley. If you head over to Twitter, you can get updates via #highparkfire. Hope the crews stay safe and keep making progress.

Also: http://inciweb.org/incident/2904/

The sunsets have been especially pretty lately, as David B points out.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,349 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wildfire update

The link rky posted in the reply above was also posted by the RMNP rangers on Twitter and has a good map of the fire area plus updates.

Missouri
Level Contributor
55 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wildfire update

I will be in Estes Park next Saturday (the 23rd) and I'm hoping that things stay in the clear...ahh I'm nervous now :P

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,349 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wildfire update

brinleyjane, if you click on the link in reply #2 and look at the live webcams, it is currently clear as a bell in RMNP.

Apple Valley...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Wildfire update

Our family is also supposed to head to Estes Park in on the 24th from MN. We have some asthma in our family and are concerned about the devastation of the fire and air quality. Some sources say it really is affecting the entire area's air quality, including Estes park and others are saying Estes Park is not affected. Could anyone clarify the conditions? It is heartbreaking to see all the damage What a tragedy for so many!