We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Thompson Canyon question

Which Estes Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
359 posts
263 reviews
Save Topic
Big Thompson Canyon question

Is one direction better than the other for driving the Big Thompson Canyon loop from Estes Park to Drake to Glen Haven? Scenic view better a certain way?

Denver, Colorado
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big Thompson Canyon question

No, it does not matter.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,027 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big Thompson Canyon question

Yes, drive down Big Thompson Canyon (east toward Loveland) and up CR43 Devil's Gulch Road. Be sure and stop at some of the forest service picnic areas. They are very scenic. After you pass Overlook Point, look for the Lumpy Ridge TH on your right and drive to the TH for a closer look at these impressive rocks. Note the balanced rocks above the Gem Lake TH sign.

The canyon is even more dramatic closer to Loveland. You can turn around at the Dam Store. Viestenz-Smith Mountain Park is 4 miles up the canyon from the Dam Store on the right. This is a lovely city park with nice views of the river from the bridge, walkways and picnic areas.

Driving time round trip from Estes to the Dam Store through Glen Haven and back to Estes is about 2 hours. Add some time for stops.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,277 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big Thompson Canyon question

Just goes to show you, same trip, different event. My DH and I can go someplace and he's totally having a different experience than I am but we both are enjoying life.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,027 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big Thompson Canyon question

SusieLou, the route in question is the one we drive at least 20 times a year on our way to and from Estes. Actually, Big Thompson Canyon is great in either direction. CR43 is best traveling from Drake to Estes.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,277 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big Thompson Canyon question

I haven't been in the Canyon since the flood years ago, which ages me I'm sure. We had actually planned to go camping there that weekend but at the last minute changed our plans. Probably meant the difference between life and death for us. Glad the dam has that all under control now. It's a lovely area.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
359 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Big Thompson Canyon question

Thanks for your help. I was planning on driving from Estes to Drake and back, but just wanted to make sure that was the most scenic way to do the drive.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,027 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Big Thompson Canyon question

You are correct. Glen Haven is on CR43/Devil's Gulch Road. That is not clear in my earlier post.

8. Re: Big Thompson Canyon question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2013, 05:17