We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: 5 days, 4 nights, 3 dogs, 2 people, 1 wild fire

Which Estes Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
673 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report: 5 days, 4 nights, 3 dogs, 2 people, 1 wild fire

My wife and I are city folks from downtown Chicago. We are not the outdoor type, but we wanted to take our 3 dogs out for a summer vacation. A friend of ours recommended Estes Park, and it far exceeded our expectations.

I love photography so I will first share some of my favorite pictures from the trip:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40199713@N03/sets/72157630322589158/

Accommodation:

We rented an unit on vrbo that's on the corner of Weist and Elkhorn, basically on main street in downtown Estes Park. It's a studio with king bed, full kitchen, laundry machines, and an amazing shower. The location is AWESOME. We are literally steps away from all the shops in downtown. There's free parking in the back, and we are right next to the Riverwalk. We couldn't ask for more. Just amazing unit.

Activities:

Since we have 3 dogs, we are limited to trails that are dog friendly. We spent most of our hiking time at Indian Peaks Wilderness, about an hour from Estes Park. On Saturday, we attempted the Mitchell Lake --> Blue Lake trail. It was much harder than we expected. Lots of uphill hiking. It was too much for our little apartment dogs so we turned back half way. We still enjoyed the hike alot, especially crossing a stream on wood logs. On our last day (Tuesday), we did the Long Lake --> Isabelle Lake trail. We were short on time since we had to go back to town to check out of the loft, so we only did the Long Lake part. It was a MUCH easier hike than Mitchell Lake. Mostly flat terrain. We loved the wildflower meadows on the left side of the lake. Both of these trails are very popular so plan to get there early. We woke up at 5:30am and we usually get to the parking lot by 7:30am. There were quite a few cars already there. When we left around 11:30am, the lot was completely full. People had to park very far away and hike back to the trailhead.

On Sunday, we headed to Trail Ridge Road. We were on the road by 7am, and it was GREAT. Barely any cars in front or behind us for most of the trip. We stopped at all the scenic spots on the map and had a blast. Our dogs were able to come out and enjoy the views since most of the spots have parking lots. The driving was fun and reminded us of Road to Hana in Maui. It can get scary if you never drove on the side of mountains before. Just go nice and steady and keep your eyes on the road. I drove up and my wife drove down so we each get to enjoy the views one time. There are plenty of pull off areas for pictures. As we were coming down, we notice most of the parking lots were getting full, so again, going early is highly recommended.

On Monday, we sent the dogs to day care so we can go horseback riding. We booked a 4 hour trip with National Park Gateway Stables. It was a great time, but my thighs and knees were wobbly after the 4 hours. We rode through forests, open plains, up/down mountains, and across streams. We saw wild turkeys and even a small black bear cub. We highly recommend Gateway Stables. After horseback riding and lunch, we went to Alluvial Fan Trail. It was recommended by a fellow TA member, fv1989. He knows EVERYTHING there is to know about Estes Park and RMNP. Thanks again!!!

Food:

We were pretty disappointed with the food options at Estes Park. Most of the food options are overpriced and touristy. Pizza, burgers, BBQ, etc. We had decent meals at Egg and I and Village Pizza. On the last day, we decided to just eat ice cream for lunch instead of paying $10 for a crappy burger. But then the ice cream shake costed like $7.00 already...at least it was good.

Fire Fire Fire:

On Saturday, as we were coming back from Indian Peaks Wilderness, we saw black smoke behind Estes Park. When we arrived in downtown, we could smell the smoke from the balcony of our unit. We were a little freaked out at first. We heard all the planes and helicoptors flying above us. We were glued to our laptop, searching for news online about the fire. After 2-3 hours, the news reported the fire is contained and everything is back to normal. Those firefighters really are amazing.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
9,577 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report: 5 days, 4 nights, 3 dogs, 2 people, 1 wild fire

Thank you for taking the time to type such a great trip report! No, I actually do not know everything about Estes and RMNP, but I appreciate the endorsement. :) I do enjoy helping people have a great vacation here in the beautiful state of Colorado.

Bear sightings in Estes and RMNP are not that common. You got lucky!

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report: 5 days, 4 nights, 3 dogs, 2 people, 1 wild fire

Your slideshow was great and it makes me anxious for our upcoming trip. Fantastic photos.

Thanks for your assessment about the food offerings - I will keep my expectations low and plan on eating a lot of ice cream.

Estes Park, Colorado
Level Contributor
622 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report: 5 days, 4 nights, 3 dogs, 2 people, 1 wild fire

So sorry you did not find great food. For others who might read this post, there are some hidden gems in Estes Park, including but not limited to: The Tavern at Mary's Lake Lodge, Twin Owls Restaurant, Mama Rose's, to name a few. I agree pricing is what you would expect in a tourist area. We also enjoy the Egg & I.

Chicago
Level Contributor
673 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report: 5 days, 4 nights, 3 dogs, 2 people, 1 wild fire

Khawnee, it was partially our fault because we couldn't go to the nicer restaurants. Twin Owls was closed for a private party on the night we wanted steak. Mama Rose's was packed for lunch when we were starving after horseback riding. We will definitely try those restaurants next time.

florida
Level Contributor
456 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report: 5 days, 4 nights, 3 dogs, 2 people, 1 wild fire

Couple points:

Great photos and great report. My son is an photo-bug too and I think he'd appreciate your work. You saw a bear in RMNP!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am soooooooooooooooo jealous!!!!!!!!!!!! Lastly, if you need to fatten up on the food, ask me; I'm out of shape for a reason.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
351 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report: 5 days, 4 nights, 3 dogs, 2 people, 1 wild fire

Great pictures and trip report! Your dogs are very cute also. Sorry to hear you didn't find good food in Estes. As others have said, there are some good restaurants in the area. Next time..... Thanks for sharing!

boulder, co
Level Contributor
13 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report: 5 days, 4 nights, 3 dogs, 2 people, 1 wild fire

Thank you for sharing your photo album. You took amazing photos, and your family is beautiful too!

8. Re: Trip Report: 5 days, 4 nights, 3 dogs, 2 people, 1 wild fire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2013, 05:16