We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is another place to visit along with EP.

Savannah, Georgia
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What is another place to visit along with EP.

Our family will be visiting EP in early June. Rather than staying our entire week in EP, I'm thinking of only staying 4 days, then spending 2 or 3 days somewhere else...hopefully within 3 hours drive of Estes Park. Any ideas on another place in Colorado to visit? We are from Savannah, Ga so we love mountains (as we have none) and outdoor stuff. No theme park type stuff. We will have a 5 year old and 11 year old with us. Thanks for any suggestions.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,745 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is another place to visit along with EP.

I was about to suggest you split your time on your other question about Estes Park lodging. Since you are watching your budget, take a look at Snow Mountain Ranch. This is a very family friendly and affordable YMCA resort. http://www.ymcarockies.org/smrlodging.html

Note the long list of activities available and they have lodge rooms within your budget. Snow Mountain Ranch is even more affordable than the Estes Park YMCA resort. Both get very good reviews here on TA for families.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g33449-d283665-…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60945-d124817-…

Snow Mountain Ranch is also close to the town of Grand Lake and the western side of RMNP. www.grandlakechamber.com

Another option would be Breckenridge. I know you are thinking expensive ski resort. But early June is something of an off season for Breck and all those ski condos will be deeply discounted. Summer in Breck does not really get going until mid-June or later.

Although technically not in the mountains, Colorado Springs is very popular with families. (Garden of the Gods, Mueller State Park, Pikes Peak, Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, Helen Hunt Falls)

florida
Level Contributor
458 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is another place to visit along with EP.

1 vote for Breck. Nice town

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is another place to visit along with EP.

I love Vail in the summer and rates in early June are much less.

Savannah, Georgia
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What is another place to visit along with EP.

Any suggestions for activities in those areas...and about how much they cost. I've heard something about mountain slides? What are some fun outdoorsy things to do in Breck?

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
25 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is another place to visit along with EP.

We have visited Denver twice (from Illinois-no mountains) and have done the same thing you are suggesting, half our time in Estes Park and also visiting other areas. One recommendation that I think would well with a family (beyond of course Rocky Mountain National Park from Estes Park) is Idaho Springs. I'm not sure it's busy enough to spend days at, but it's worth a day trip. The highlight is Mt Evans nearby. Mt Evans has the highest paved road in the US and you are able to drive almost to the summit, leaving a short hike to the peak. I'm not sure if the road will be snow free yet in June, we went at the end of July. There was also a couple of lower mountain lakes with hiking trails on the way up. In Idaho Springs there is also a couple of gold mines that you can tour. We did one of them and found it very interesting. We also really like Golden and have gone there both times. We like to do the Coors tour there and eat. You can also walk around downtown Golden and check out the unique shops. I think there is another historic area nearby, but we didn't check it out.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,145 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is another place to visit along with EP.

I'll put in a vote for Colorado Springs one that is truly very family friendly--great horseback riding opportunities through the Broadmoor and also through the Garden of the Gods. You have Pikes Peak so if you come from no mountains like us that's a mountain. It's just not tons of mountains, just Pikes Peak.

www.cograilway.com a don't miss must do!

www.gardenofthegods.com don't miss!

www.sevenfalls.com visit day or night

www.cmzoo.org Cheyenne Mtn. Zoo is unique (location) and don't miss Will Roger's Shrine to the Sun, drive up to it above it's included in zoo admission

www.caveofthewinds.com

For a special treat take in the Sunday brunch at the Broadmoor!

There's the Air Force Academy and Olympic Training Center to peruse.

There's several museums if weather doesn't permit--Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame, Money Museum, Figure Skating Museum and outdoor living history museum by the Garden of the Gods.

www.flyingw.com the chuckwagon likely won't be rebuilt yet from the fire but it's a great option (or was) and will be upon it's return.

Nearby is a pretty place with a mountainous feel and that's Woodland Park. There's a dino museum there, and in Divide there's a Wolf Center (reserve ahead) and a bit farther is the Florissant Fossil Beds.

The other direction gives you a short day trip to the Royal Gorge Bridge and Park in Canon City--visit the park (we really enjoyed it, check reviews to see if it's your cup of tea) or you can raft or ride the train their (Royal Gorge Route).

Edited: 08 January 2013, 16:05
Texas
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is another place to visit along with EP.

Steamboat Springs

Southern Colorado- Mesa Verde, Great Sand Dunes etc.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,745 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is another place to visit along with EP.

GoWandering, cojordans wants something within 3 hours of Estes Park. Steamboat Springs more or less meets that requirement but Mesa Verde, Southern Colorado and Great Sand Dunes are as much as 8 hours away.

Pueblo, Colorado
Level Contributor
488 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is another place to visit along with EP.

Not sure if you may be "into" this sort of thing but maybe the Boulder area..also to drive 287 north of Longmont to Loveland ..there are many "indoor Flea Markets/Antique shops" may be fun to go through..continuing north on 287 up to Ft. Collins..maybe up to Poudre Canyon or up to Horsetooth Lake, may be a fun day thing to do also.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,745 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is another place to visit along with EP.

For fun things to do with kids your age in RMNP and Estes Park, see reply #2 at this link. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g33324-i831-k54611…

Most of the alpine slides (Winter Park and Breck both have them) do not open until mid June. The one at Heritage Square in Golden opens sooner. 1FourFun has this great list of things to do in the Breck area on that forum.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i21445-Summit_C…

Get answers to your questions about Estes Park