We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Labor day weekend crowds

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
173 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Labor day weekend crowds

We are planning a week long trip to Colorado, either beginning or ending Labor Day weekend. We would like to start the week with 3 nights in Estes Park. Curious to know if Labor day weekend is significantly more crowded than other weekends and if it would be recommended to begin our trip the weekend before. Concerned with crowds in RMNP and lodging. Our primary focus will be hiking and sightseeing in the park. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get further into the planning of the trip Thanks for any input/thoughts

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
11,034 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Labor day weekend crowds

Labor Day weekend ranks in the top 5 highest attendance dates for RMNP for the year. Estes Park has a large arts and crafts show and sale for Labor Day weekend (8/31, 9/1 and 9/2). Yes, both are significantly more crowded on that weekend. If you can avoid being there on the weekend, RMNP and Estes are much less crowded during the week on either side of Labor Day weekend.

The Scottish Irish Highlands Festival is scheduled for Estes Park for September 6, 7 and 8 and this event is also very popular.

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
173 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Labor day weekend crowds

Thank you very much! I read about the Highlands festival, so I was avoiding that weekend. I think we'll plan on the week prior to Labor Day.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Labor day weekend crowds

Ouch, we arrive late on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend and only have the Sunday to sightsee and then we leave on the Monday morning. Will make sure to book accommodation asap.

Any other tips on how to make the most of one day even with the crowds?

Someone posted this helpful link in another post of mine, and I was planning to pretty much follow this itinerary. Will the extra crowds for Labor Day make it much more difficult to follow?

www.rmnp.com/RMNP-Things-RockyInADay.HTML

Edited: 30 January 2013, 15:48
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
11,034 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Labor day weekend crowds

ncmc, on your other post at reply #5 where I gave you the Rocky In A Day link, I did mention the holiday crowds in the first sentence.

tripadvisor.com/…46878105

To minimize the impact of crowds and also the possible delays (if any) on Bear Lake Road due to construction, get an early start. Breakfast places in Estes Park open at 6:00 am. You can call ahead and pick up your picnic lunch at Safeway Grocery, Country Market or Donut Haus (you mentioned) all of which open at 6:00 am. An early start will greatly enhance your chances of seeing wildlife.

You will have ample time to complete the itinerary. Do not rush. There are many picnic areas in RMNP for your lunch break. There is also a small cafe at the Trail Ridge Store next door to the Alpine Visitor Center if you want additional refreshments. Many people like to go about 4 miles past the Alpine Visitor Center to the Continental Divide before turning around.

The entrances to RMNP are not usually manned in the early morning. Stop by the Estes Park Visitor Center and pick up an Estes/RMNP map. The maps are located in the alcove across from the restrooms. You can also download the RMNP map at www.nps.gov/romo under park tools.

5. Re: Labor day weekend crowds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2014, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Estes Park