We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Estes Park Reopens to Visitors (partially)

Which Estes Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,022 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Estes Park Reopens to Visitors (partially)

At the town meeting, it was just announced that national guard checkpoints have been removed on highway 7 and downtown Estes Park is ready for visitors. Not all of Estes Park is ready. Details to follow.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,742 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Estes Park Reopens to Visitors (partially)

I feel like a visit to Estes myself.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,712 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Estes Park Reopens to Visitors (partially)

Well that was quick. Good to hear!

louisiana
Level Contributor
554 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Estes Park Reopens to Visitors (partially)

Well that sure changed overnight. From yesterday's meeting. "It will be weeks before RMNP is safe for employees to even begin assessing damage" to today parts of RMNP are open. I don't know that I have ever been so confused about a vacation. Our condo just sent an email that they were open for business. I just want to make sure we will be safe driving around and will be able to get in the park. Scared to let myself get excited again about going.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Estes Park Reopens to Visitors (partially)

Last night Fox reported CDOT hoped to have Hwy 34 open in a few weeks . The Denver Post today mentioned using pre-built military bridges.

Didn't town officials say only select visitors would be allowed at first, like wedding groups?

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,022 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Estes Park Reopens to Visitors (partially)

Useful links for Estes Park information

Town of Estes Park

https://twitter.com/TownofEstesPark

https://www.facebook.com/TownofEstesParkCO

www.estes.org

Live Broadcast of Town Meetings and to view previous town meetings

www.estes.org/videos

Estes Park Newspapers

http://www.eptrail.com/

http://www.estesparknews.com/

Current road conditons and closures for state and federal roads in Colorado with links for local road closure information

www.cotrip.org

Rocky Mountain National Park

www.nps.gov/romo

Edited: 18 September 2013, 19:01
Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,258 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Estes Park Reopens to Visitors (partially)

Wow - I did not expect it so soon! Good news for Estes Park.

The word must have gotten out quickly. There was more traffic than I expected along the Peak to Peak this morning.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,022 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Estes Park Reopens to Visitors (partially)

Information for visitors from Town Meeting 9/18/2013 I think you want and need to know plus other helpful information.

Roads into Estes Park

The only ways currently to get to Estes Park are the Peak to Peak Scenic Byway and Trail Ridge Road. The National Guard has removed checkpoints along highway 7. There is ongoing construction and repair along the Peak to Peak route. There are no time estimates for the opening of highways 34 and 36 at this time. Assessments of these roads are to be made by authorities next week. Following these assessments, more information about the future opening of these roads will be available. Opening highways 34 and 36 are the highest priority for CDOT and for the federal government.

Peak to Peak link

http://mapq.st/18zbTxk

Trail Ridge Road link

http://mapq.st/169UMs0

Trail Ridge Road is a seasonal road through Rocky Mountain National Park and can be temporarily closed or have delayed openings at any time due to inclement weather. Average annual closing date for TRR as a through road between Grand Lake and Estes Park is October 23. This is weather dependent and the actual closing date is usually sooner than the official date. Trail Ridge Road status line is 970-586-1222.

Roads in Estes Park

Elkhorn Avenue through downtown is open. You can get to both the Beaver Meadows and Fall River Entrances to Rocky Mountian National Park. National Guard personnel are in Estes Park and the area to man existing road blocks. All roads in Estes Park are not open. Many have been damaged and are not safe for travel. Obey all cones, barricades and detours. The Public Works director said today that additional roads collapsed even within the last 24 hours.

Sanitation and Garbage

There are many areas of Estes Park with no toilet facilities. This includes areas with residences, restaurants, businesses and lodging facilities. If you want to know if an address is in the "NO FLUSH" zone, call this number 970-586-4544. There are also some maps available at links I gave above. Garbage pickup has not resumed. Flood debris must be stacked on the owner's property until further notice. Household garbage can be taken to the fairgrounds. The town is putting together a plan for commerical business garbage.

Safety of Buildings

All buildings downtown have been inspected. There are no major issues downtown. The Fall River area inspections are completed. The Big Thompson drainage area should be completed today. The Fish Creek area is ongoing. Unsafe buildings are marked with a red inspection report.

Riverwalk and Public Parking in Downtown

Per the Public Works Director, they hope to have the Riverwalk and downtown public parking lots open by Friday in time for the weekend. There will be some cone areas along the Riverwalk but overall it fared very well.

Stanley Park Playground, Lake Estes, Aquatic Center, Golf Courses, etc.

Stanley Park Playground is closed. Lake Estes is closed. Aquatic Center is open. The 18 hole golf course is currently closed but should reopen fairly soon. There was serious damage to the 9 hole golf course and that will take some time to repair.

Open Businesses

Many businesses were not flooded or received only minimal damage and have already reopened. Your best bet is to call that business if you want to know when and if a business is open. You can also check individual businesses on Twitter and Facebook. The Estes Park Trail Gazette published a list. The Estes Park CVB may also be able to tell you.

Estes Park Visitor Center

By phone: 1-800-443-7837 or 970-577-9900

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,022 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Estes Park Reopens to Visitors (partially)

A correction about garbage pickup - it has resumed only in areas where roads are safe enough for garbage trucks to travel.

I do want to emphasize the "NO FLUSH" zone. There are properties ready to open that are located in the "NO FLUSH" zone. Properties in the "NO FLUSH" zone are not prohibited from opening, but they are not supposed to flush the toilets. Using the address of a property, you can call 970-586-4544 to see if the property is in the "NO FLUSH" zone. Updated lists and maps of properties in the zone are supposed to be ready tomorrow. There were additions to the "NO FLUSH" zone made today.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,022 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Estes Park Reopens to Visitors (partially)

Town of Estes Park posted on Twitter - Elk Fest 2013 is going to take place in Estes Park on Sat-Sun, Sept. 28-29. More information to be released as it is available.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,022 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Estes Park Reopens to Visitors (partially)

Posted by Town of Estes Park on Twitter today

"Getting the town reopened to visitors doesn't mean we're redirecting resources away from evacuees and those most affected by the flood. Our staff, volunteers and partners are not refocusing efforts. The events we'll be holding aren't staff-intensive. We want to bring up the morale of the community and help draw some business back to the community. We are balancing the needs carefully."

From fv1989 - The above is probably in response to residents and even some business owners who feel Estes Park put out the welcome mat prematurely. I will no longer post daily reports from the Estes Park Town Meetings. If there is a major change or I become aware of something visitors need to know, I will try to post that information.