We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much can I cover? Estes Park, Telluride???

Which Estes Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nauvoo, Alabama
Level Contributor
13 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
How much can I cover? Estes Park, Telluride???

Hi,

I will be flying into Denver on Sat. July 8th around 9:30am, I leave on Thursday July 13 around 4:30 pm. I will be staying the 1st 2 nights in estes park. I plan on hiking some trails I didnt hike when I was there a couple of years ago, I have hiked to Emerald Lake(Breathtaking) Nymph Lake, Dream Lake and Mills Lake.

I wanted to hike to Chasm Lake and maybe a couple of more.

I traveled the Trail Ridge Road to Rock Cut, it got dark and I never made it to Grand Lake.

I also visited Colorado Springs last time, Olympic Training Center, this time I wanted to see Garden of the Gods and Drive Pikes Peak, maybe spend one night in Colorado Springs.

I have never been to Telluride or Ouray, I hear its beautiful!

I just wanted to know if it was possible to cover all that in the time that I have? I love the outdoors, hiking rafting and biking. I appreciate any suggestions you may have..

Estes Park-2 nights- Hike to Chasm lake, any suggestions for other great hikes? Traveling Trail Ridge Road to Grand Lake

Colorado Springs-Garden of the Gods, Pikes Peak

Telluride-Bridal Veil Falls

Ouray-Box Canyon Falls

Westminster...
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: How much can I cover? Estes Park, Telluride???

I think you're stretching yourself a little. I figure on Monday you'll want to do a morning hike in Estes/RMNP and then drive to Co Springs (that'll be about 2 hours). You could drive up Pikes Peak them or hike in Garden of the Gods. If you do eliminate the morning hike you could do both in the Springs (or all of it, depending how early you get up). Spend the night in the Springs. Tuesday, goto Telluride OR Ouray, hike and such around there, spend two nights and then drive back to Denver on Thursday. This way, you get a full day of hiking there and a little less driving around. You could do all of it, but it's more driving and less hiking time.

If you wanted to raft, then definately cut out one of those two cities since it'll be a full day (you could do a half-day, but why? You know you'd love it and just want more). If you want to bike, I'd recommend doing it in Co Springs, since it's the lowest altitude of all 3 and be a bit easier on your body.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much can I cover? Estes Park, Telluride???

Here is a fantastic website on hiking in RMNP: thespiritoftherockies.net/spirit/HikingRMNP.… Great details about the trails, pictures, topo maps, etc. Hubby and I had a great hike to The Loch on a picture-perfect October day - lots of other destinations further along that trail if you're up for a longer hike.

With the limited time you have, I'd suggest not doing Telluride and Ouray on this trip, or just doing it without Estes and Colo. Springs. It's a long, slow drive with a lot of mountain passes. Save it for your next trip. Estes and Colo. Springs will hopefully quench your thirst for exquisite mountain scenery. Maybe drive some back roads back to Denver to check out some places you haven't been.

I know it's tempting to try to pack in everything during a visit - I'm guilty of that myself - but you'd be very rushed with the itinerary you suggest and you'd have no time at all to explore your destinations. You'll just have to plan your future trips to Colorado to see it all! Good luck with your trip!

Nauvoo, Alabama
Level Contributor
13 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much can I cover? Estes Park, Telluride???

Thanks so much for all your suggestions! It was so helpful. I think we decided to just stick to hiking. On Saturday travel from Denver via Trail Ridge Road, find a hike on the Grand lake side, then drive on into Estes Park. Sunday get up early, hike to Chasm Lake, and whatever else time may allow .find a good restaurant.

Monday drive to Colorado Springs , explore Garden of the Gods, drive Pikes Peak.

Tuesday drive to Telluride, go to Bridal Veil Falls, I know most of this will be driving time. Spend the night,, Tues.( still have to find lodging, this is the only night I havent booked)

On Wednesday Drive to Ouray, and then back to Colorado Springs to spend the night.

Thursday drive to the Denver airport.

I know its a lot of driving, but thought I would live for the moment, might not get a chance to go back.

The web site you sent was great! The pictures was beautiful, and so informative.I saved it to favorites.

Thanks again for all your input. Looking forward to hiking the Rockies!

Have a Great Day!

Nauvoo, Alabama
Level Contributor
13 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much can I cover? Estes Park, Telluride???

Thanks so much for all your suggestions! It was so helpful. I think we decided to just stick to hiking. On Saturday travel from Denver via Trail Ridge Road, find a hike on the Grand lake side, then drive on into Estes Park. Sunday get up early, hike to Chasm Lake, and whatever else time may allow .find a good restaurant.

Monday drive to Colorado Springs , explore Garden of the Gods, drive Pikes Peak.

Tuesday drive to Telluride, go to Bridal Veil Falls, I know most of this will be driving time. Spend the night,, Tues.( still have to find lodging, this is the only night I havent booked)

On Wednesday Drive to Ouray, and then back to Colorado Springs to spend the night.

Thursday drive to the Denver airport.

I know its a lot of driving, but thought I would live for the moment, might not get a chance to go back.

The web site you sent was great! The pictures was beautiful, and so informative.I saved it to favorites.

Thanks again for all your input. Looking forward to hiking the Rockies!

Have a Great Day!

5. Re: How much can I cover? Estes Park, Telluride???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 14:20