We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elk Viewing?

Which Estes Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan USA
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Elk Viewing?

I would like to make a day trip from Denver to Estes Park and RMNP while visiting next week. What are my chances of seeing elk to photograph?

rky
Estes Park, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park
Level Contributor
624 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Elk Viewing?

Your chances are virtually guaranteed. I cannot imagine you would arrive to Estes Park next week, put in minimal effort and not find some elk. This time of year the elk have concentrated into the valley making them easier to locate. In the summer, they take to the higher elevations and spread out more. The big bulls have started gathering together into small groups. The females and younger elk form into larger herds. Good luck and enjoy your visit!

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,194 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Elk Viewing?

I'd say 99.9% ;)

There have been a couple of times (maybe twice in 30 years) that I did not see an elk IN the park itself. However, I almost always see them in Estes Park or on the way to RMNP. They are all over the place!

nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/wildlife_view.htm

Edited: 26 November 2013, 01:49
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,027 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Elk Viewing?

Link for a scenic driving tour through RMNP in winter with great chances to see elk, deer and big horn sheep

http://goo.gl/maps/DVtqu

To increase your wildlife viewing opportunities, consider taking part of the Peak to Peak Scenic Byway from Denver to Estes Park. You can either go through Boulder and Nederland (36/119/72/7) or by way of Golden Gate Canyon Road to Nederland. Take the shorter highway 36 route back to Denver.

Edited: 26 November 2013, 15:50
colorado
Level Contributor
115 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Elk Viewing?

Please be sure to check. I think there are still road closures on Hwy 36 from Lyons to Estes Park due to the September flooding. Hwy 7 is open and the peak to peak highway is open. also Hwy. 34 through Loveland just opened back up last Thursday.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,194 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Elk Viewing?

Incorrect. Highway 36 opened on November 4. All highways leading to Estes Park are now open. It's been on the news many times about the fantastic work by CDOT and the National Guard getting these roads open ahead of schedule.

Edited: 26 November 2013, 20:33
6. Re: Elk Viewing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2014, 05:17