We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

isolated/quiet/private rental or hotel

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
280 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
isolated/quiet/private rental or hotel

Hi...I am looking for a place to stay in the Estes Park area (using it as a base to explore the East side of RMNP) that is quiet and isolated. I don't want to be near the down town noise and tourist attractions. Certainly we will visit the town but my main priority is to experience the solitude and beauty of the natural landscape. I have found some condos on VRBO but not too many homes. I am concerned that condos will be close enough to town to be loud or over populated. I would welcome any suggestions for places to stay. I am fine with being a little further out from the park...within about 45-60 minutes drive each day. We will be spending part of our trip on the West side as well. I would like to stay under $200 a night and there are two adults and two kids. Thanks so much for the advice and help.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,607 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: isolated/quiet/private rental or hotel

Oh my goodness, you don't want or need to be that far away!

When is your trip? Honestly, Estes Park is not a loud and noisy place.

But I can appreciate your desire to be away from town.

There are some nice vacation homes in the Windcliff area: http://www.windcliff.com/

Also, check these sites: visitestespark.com/lodging/…

http://estesparkrentals.com/

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,607 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: isolated/quiet/private rental or hotel

I see that you posted last October and that fv1989 gave you some very good suggestions on that thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60945-i436-k69312…

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
280 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: isolated/quiet/private rental or hotel

Yes...have gotten such helpful advice for this trip and all my others. :o). I guess I should have phrased the question asking more about Estes park. We are coming from miami and really like to spend our vacations enjoying the outdoors and scenery as much as possible. Especially enjoying scenery so different from our own. We just don't want to be listening to people in the pool or having the flashing go cart lights in our room at night. This is not to say that those things are bad...we are exposed to them at home and would like something quiet and slower paced. Thanks so much for your help.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
280 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: isolated/quiet/private rental or hotel

Sorry...forgot about this. Our trip will be the end of July/beginning of August. I guess I am getting the impression (though it seems wrong now) that Estes Park was a touristy town with lots of restaurants, hotels, motels and touristy stuff. This is all fine...we love to eat out when on vacation and play mini golf too! :o) What I understand you to be saying Babalax is that we can stay at one of the condos listed on vrbo and still get our solitude (unless of course it says down town?) Anyway...thanks for your help Babalax ...I will go check the responses to my original post too.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,433 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: isolated/quiet/private rental or hotel

Estes Park might be a tourist destination, but... it is nothing at all like much of Florida. It's quite small-- Grand Lake is even smaller-- I don't think you'll find it noisy at all compared to where you are coming from. It is another world compared to the east coast and Florida. You'll love it and I suspect you'll find it "quiet" regardless of where you choose to stay.

I ran across these AFTER my most recent stay in Estes. I bookmarked them. No idea about them, but... like you, we like some peace and quiet on our travels. http://www.machinscottages.com/

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,346 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: isolated/quiet/private rental or hotel

Wings1980, Machins Cottages is one of the places I suggested on their earlier post back in October - the link to which Babalax gave in reply #2.

MiamiLuvtotravel, do go back to the vrbo listings and other suggestions I and others gave you in that earlier post to which Babalax referred. I specifically chose the places I listed because they offered what you asked for on that post. I did not put these cabins on that earlier list because both are located close to roads, but with your budget take at look at Rustic River Cabins, Blackhawk Lodges and Glacier Lodge.

http://rusticrivercabins.com/

http://www.blackhawkestespark.com/

http://www.glacierlodgeonline.com/

Wings1980 is correct about nothing about the town of Estes Park resembling the tourist destinations in Florida. The town is just not that large - about 6000 residents. People complain about the busy and touristy downtown. Downtown is basically a one mile section along Elkhorn Avenue of about 4 blocks plus one block or so on either side of this stretch of Elkhorn Avenue. Needless to say, when you concentrate the thousands of visitors into this compact area, the downtown does get crowded and busy during peak season. Here is the google map link showing you the area along Elkhorn Avenue that is considered downtown Estes Park.

http://goo.gl/maps/0CQxS

There are routes to avoid this stretch of Elkhorn and there are plenty of restaurants located away from this area. I can think of only one condo complex in the actual downtown area and I would avoid it the end of July and early August due to congestion in the area. Some people choose to stay closer to town so they can walk to shops and restaurants. If you find a place and have questions, just ask. I will tell you what I know.

Edited: 23 February 2014, 18:07
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
280 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: isolated/quiet/private rental or hotel

Thanks so much wings1980 and fv1989. I did go back to the original post you helped with and I think I am going to go with one of those. I like the VRBO...we have had great success with them in the past. I do appreciate all your help about Estes Park and helping me realize its not what I was thinking. Can't wait for this trip! :o)

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,346 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: isolated/quiet/private rental or hotel

You are very welcome. When you do want to go downtown or other locations in Estes Park, there is an extensive free shuttle service.

colorado.gov/cs/…1251596779393

Estes Park had to put the new downtown parking garage on hold temporarily due to budget constraints from the September 2013 flood. There are free public parking lots in downtown if you choose to drive.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,433 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: isolated/quiet/private rental or hotel

Sorry fv-- I did not follow the link or earlier thread. (in reference to the cabins I mentioned) They certainly look "remote" but one never knows :) They are along the road, eh? Hmm... I'll be back to pick brains next trip out there!

Miami---An example occurs to me-- We have for many years traveled the east coast and Florida. Lived in Titusville for awhile... In 2006, we made a trip to the southwest that included OKC, Albuquerque, the Grand Canyon, Arches Natl Park, Mesa Verde, etc.... Traveled in the fall (schools in session) That following spring NOT during spring break, we did our usual trip south and went to Merritt Island, Amelia Island and St Simon's Island. None of these places would I consider crowded compared to most places in Florida. Sitting on our last day at St Simon's Island, my husband and I looked at each other and said "we don't like this anymore-- too crowded!" :) Just trying to give you an understanding-- something to compare to-- It's tough. You'll know when you get there. I LOVE Estes Park and never feel "crowded" I went to Disney's Animal Kingdom once, by the way, and was ready to shoot myself after 2 hours.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,346 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: isolated/quiet/private rental or hotel

Wings1980, Machins Cottages are not along a road. I was referring to some of the cabins listed in my reply #6 above. Machins Cottages are actually off a dirt road off highway 66. They are just a little further up the road from Valhalla Resort. You will also pass Annie's Mountain Retreat Carriage House. Machins Cottages are the last lodging on Eagle Cliff Road and are in a more remote location. I drove up there recently just to have a look around and see for myself.