We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Twin Sisters Trail and other questions

Which Estes Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
indianapolis
Level Contributor
96 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Twin Sisters Trail and other questions

We have vacationed in EP/RMNP for many years and enjoy the variety of hiking available. One of my favorite hikes to do is Twin Sisters. I can't tell from the NPS website if the Twin Sisters trail is even open - it vaguely references some damage to the switchbacks near the top without ever saying if the trail is open. It does appear that the road to the trailhead is closed?

Just today our June calendar opened up and we realized we could take a week and come to EP/RMNP in mid June but I'm wondering how much of the hiking we like to do will be available due to snow. This would be the earliest we have ever come so I'm trying to go by what I can find online as far as trail conditions. We typically like to do Flattop Mountain/Twin Sisters, etc. type hikes - so longer hikes - up to higher elevations and more strenuous - however we are not expert "snow" hikers so that is making me wonder it this would be a good idea and we may not even have the necessary equipment.

I know there are many things to do in the area - but our preferred activity are these types of hikes. Thanks in advance for any comments.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
9,391 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Twin Sisters Trail and other questions

Yes, Twin Sisters Trail is open. People have commented that you can negotiate (or could before the snow) the rock slide that occurred as a result of the September flood. They will open the road when it dries out. Rangers posted on Twitter on May 17 that Twin Sisters Road would probably open in a couple of weeks. For recent RMNP trail condition reports, see this link.

nps.gov/romo/…trail_conditions.htm

Trail conditions can vary from year to year but normally mid-June is a little early to borderline for many higher elevation hikes. We have been having way above normal temperatures lately and snow is melting quickly. There are hikes (even higher elevation hikes) that do clear earlier in RMNP due to sun and wind exposure and some hikes are regarded as all season. Tree coverage and whether a hike is north or south facing makes a difference.

You can always call the RMNP info line at 970-586-1206 and talk to a ranger about possible hiking options for the timing of your trip. I have also found the staff at Warming House and Estes Park Mountain Shop in Estes Park very helpful with trail information and equipping you for trail conditions.

Some trails that are often clear by mid-June include:

Fern Lake

Twin Sisters

Estes Cone

Finch Lake

Deer Mountain

Jewel Lake

North Inlet

Timber Lake

East Inlet - at least to Lone Pine Lake

indianapolis
Level Contributor
96 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Twin Sisters Trail and other questions

Thanks for the comprehensive response! I don't think we will try it right now - hopefully in the late summer/fall - which is our "normal" time to come...

3. Re: Twin Sisters Trail and other questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2015, 05:15