We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer in Estes Park or Breckenridge?

Which Estes Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
CA
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Summer in Estes Park or Breckenridge?

Would like opinons on whether to spend a week this August in Estes Park or Breckenridge?

Springfield, MO
Level Contributor
340 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer in Estes Park or Breckenridge?

Give us a little more info here. What is your budget? What do you like to do? Do you prefer outdoor activity, night life, shopping? What kind of lodging are you looking for?

I could give you my opinion, but I would wager that you and I are very different people, and we wouldn't necessarily like the same things for a vacation.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
467 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer in Estes Park or Breckenridge?

I love Estes Park but I cant see spending more than three days there.

Springfield, MO
Level Contributor
340 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer in Estes Park or Breckenridge?

Precisely my point, Jenwee. I could easily spend two weeks in Estes Park and RMNP. Everyone is different, so we need to know what yesm456 wants/needs before we can give an accurate response.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
77 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer in Estes Park or Breckenridge?

Estes Park is a chaming little touristy town. However, I can't see enough in the town itself to be interesting for more than a couple of days.

How much time you want to spend in the RMNP is dependent upon how much you enjoy wildlife and nature vistas. For me, three days is enough. (My visit there was right after a week in Yellowstone - otherwise I might have wanted to spend longer in RMNP.) Take your binoculars. The wildlife is splendid!

All in all, dividing time between the town and the park, I would budget no more than four days for the area. To accommodate the desires of a family with children, a week might not be too long.

DO have a meal on the outdoor deck of the restaurant nearest the Fall River Entrance to the park.

AVOID Deer Crest Riverfront Resort!

boulder,co
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Summer in Estes Park or Breckenridge?

Both are fabulous destinations. Estes Park has easy access to the RMNP as well as several georgous hikes/runs, e.g. Longs Peak. If one likes mtn. biking, Breck. will be a better choice. Food is probably less expensive in Breck.

Grand Lake, Colorado
Level Contributor
603 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Summer in Estes Park or Breckenridge?

Neither, go to Grand lake it is over trail ridge road from estes park. Tell them jenny b sent you, and i miss them!!! Especially jim, and penny at The mountain Inn, and victor zapata.

Level Contributor
16 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Summer in Estes Park or Breckenridge?

Estes Park and Breckenridge are both touristy, but Breck is much more upscale and encircled by spectacular mountain ranges. Estes Park you have to go into RMNP to see the mountains. However, I've been to Breck a few times after July and it is chilly and no one hardly is there. Its rather forlorn when deserted. The River Mountain Lodge is great, but don't get streetside rooms as its not at all quit on that side. Get the river side.

I agree that Grand Lake is tops, but you have to like it NON commercial and rustic and outdoorsy. We prefer GL. But don't go down around Grnadby as the fires and drought in the past few years have left it a mud hole. So sad. Check out Ouray. Good luck!

Cortland, NY
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Summer in Estes Park or Breckenridge?

Check out www.ymcarockies.org and consider staying there. The "Y" is like a 900 acre ranch with so many activities that it is easy to stay and not want to leave!! The day camp for kids is wonderful. The town of Estes Park is quaint but definately more crowded on weekends.

Vadnais Hgts., MN
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Summer in Estes Park or Breckenridge?

Are you planning on hiking? RMNP has the best trails for that. we've been to both places at least 10-12 times. When we want to have a hiking vacation, it's Estes Park. If we want to sightsee and drive more, it's Breck. Georgetown, Vail, Leadville, jeeping on really fabulous old mining roads, Mt.bike riding, white water rafting, are some of the things we do when we go there. We find that lodging is cheaper in Breck...It's there "off season" while in Estes it's there peak season. Both are equally nice . It just depends on what you want to do.

Denver
Level Contributor
422 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Summer in Estes Park or Breckenridge?

Both are great (I used to live in Breckenridge). RMNP really is one of the most beautiful areas in Colorado and is definitely worth checking out. Breckenridge works hard to schedule activities for tourists in the summer, so find a calendar of activities to see if there is something interesting going on the week you'll be there. Breckenridge is also a good central location for activities like white-water rafting, mountain biking, jeep trips, etc.

Estes Park is more of an old-school mountain destination, which is not surprising as it has been drawing tourists for much longer than Breckenridge. I find the appeal lies in the nostalgia to be found there. It has that "golden age of the automobile" appeal to it with classic old motels, cabins along the river, roadside attractions and such.

Breckenridge, on the other hand, is a much more modern, small, upscale mountain resort town, though not nearly as flashy or pricy as towns like Aspen or Vail.