We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Providence to Cape Cod in one day by car

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Providence to Cape Cod in one day by car

Hi everyone!

We are staying in Providence for a few days in June 2018. We would like to hire a car and go see some of Cape Cod if possible - mainly for a nice lunch at a decent sea-front clam shack or such like. (We are fond of sand dunes and salty air, after all!) We know that driving all the way out to Provincetown would just take too long but Google Maps says it's about 1.5 hours' drive from Providence to Barnstable (for example); is this realistic in June? (I've heard that Cape Cod can get pretty snarled with tourist traffic in summer.)

Anyone got any recommendations for a nice spot to have lunch along the south of the Cape? Maybe there's a nice alternative somewhere off the beaten track?

Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
188 reviews
1. Re: Providence to Cape Cod in one day by car

As long as you carefully pick the day (mid week would be much better). Going to Barnstable / Hyannis area would definitely be the furthest out I would go. Heck, I have done that from CT.

Hope, RI
Level Contributor
204 posts
2. Re: Providence to Cape Cod in one day by car

You may want to post the question on the Massachusetts or Cape Cod forum. While in Rhode Island be sure to visit Flo's Clam Shack in Middletown or Iggys, Aunt Carries or Georges in Narragansett. Flo's is directly across from the Newport and Middletown beaches.

Level Contributor
475 posts
3. Re: Providence to Cape Cod in one day by car

If you are going to abandon RI for the Cape, I would go at least to the Harwich, Dennis area which would get more scenic in terms of sand dunes, otherwise it's just another strip mall. I live near the Cape now, and am getting to know it better. There is still some seafood flavor there, whereas the RI coast is becoming more upscale and trendy. Really, just head down to Anthony's or Flo's and then walk around Sachuest Point for the day, the ocean vibe there really can't be beat. :-)

Edited: 11 January 2018, 12:16
Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Providence to Cape Cod in one day by car

Hi.

Thanks for the opinions, all. I don't want to eat at "just another strip mall" that's for sure!

Maybe I should broaden my horizons and look for recommendations for nice places to eat, with a quaint clam shack vibe, where there's nice scenery to look at (and walk around).

Doesn't have to be Cape Cod but it would still have to be a reasonable driving distance (1.5 hours ish) from Providence RI.

Thanks again!

Level Contributor
475 posts
5. Re: Providence to Cape Cod in one day by car

Yes, there is some stunning natural scenery on the Cape and RI, just not in the immediate Barnstable area. On another note, the Cape Cod Canal area, New Bedford- the historic nautical vibe there is paralleled, but gets a bad rap, it's just as well.

Edited: 11 January 2018, 19:26
conn
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
172 reviews
6. Re: Providence to Cape Cod in one day by car

You could take the ferry to Block Island if its running.

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Providence to Cape Cod in one day by car

Assuming you are also doing things around RI and just want something different, it sounds like a nice day....

I'd suggest not going any further than the Mid-Cape...here are a few places:

In Dennis right on the water:

www.sesuit-harbor-cafe.com

also in Dennis but a bit more upscale:

www.themarshside.com

overlooking the Bass River at the marina:

www.summershanty.com

in Hyannis overlooking the harbor and ferry boats:

www.baxterscapecod.com/

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
367 posts
60 reviews
8. Re: Providence to Cape Cod in one day by car

Falmouth has a nice clam shack at the end of the pier. Nothing fancy just a real clam shack!

Fun area to watch the boats.

Reply to: Providence to Cape Cod in one day by car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted