We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

seafood?

long island, ny
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
seafood?

Hubby and I will be in Providence next week, staying at the Hampton Inn in Warwick and would like some seafood recommendations for lunch or dinner. Anywhere within 20 miles would be fine. We are especially fond of off the beaten path type places that the locals love.

Mentioned in this post
Warwick
Warwick
Rhode Island
Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: seafood?

Don't head towards Providence or anywhere north for a fried seafood type place. Restaurants all over usually have good seafood on the menu's but the better places more or less are near the ocean. THere's got to be some good seafood in restaurants to be found in East Greenwich, North Kingstown, or even Warwick.

Mentioned in this post
Warwick
Warwick
Rhode Island
Cranston,RI
Level Contributor
132 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: seafood?

Iggy's in Oakland Beach

Get coupons online

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,789 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: seafood?

Top of the Bay resturant in Warwick, RI. Follow RI route 117 to Oakland Beach Ave. Go to the very end when you see the beach Top of the Bay is on your right. Tuesday night is "cruise night" and can be a fun time. Iggy's is across the street...you'll know it by the long lines. Inside is crowded. picnic tables for outside dining: but in my humble opinion the food is overrated and even w/coupon not cheap for eating w/ the seagulls

Mentioned in this post
Warwick
Warwick
Rhode Island
Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: seafood?

Yes, these places mentioned are nearby, but not the best of RI. Better off take the 20 minute drive to Newport or Narragansett.

Edited: 22 July 2011, 14:37
Mentioned in this post
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,789 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: seafood?

Best of RI in the RhodeIsland mag is venue for the yuppies; resturants are overhyped and often expensive. Stay away from Narragansett or Newport at this time of year. Lots of traffic,long lines everywhere, top prices. Wickford a much nicer alternative Duffy's is where the locals eat. good food great prices

Edited: 22 July 2011, 16:18
Mentioned in this post
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: seafood?

Um, my comment had nothing to do with the mag. Some yuppie places are great, some not- just as some 'local' places are, or are not. Heard that about Duffy's, glad to hear it's not only a biker bar anymore. I'll have to check it out.

Westerly, Rhode...
Level Contributor
614 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: seafood?

One fairly close place is in East Greenwich, right next door to Warwick -- Harbourside Lobstermania. South of Warwick off Rt 1.

Mentioned in this post
Warwick
Warwick
Rhode Island
Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,789 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: seafood?

The bar is A scene; but comfortable eating there as unaccompanied females...at least during the day!! RI has a great diversity of resturants..l areas, prices, cuisines; especially in the summer.

Edited: 22 July 2011, 16:39
Rhode Island
Level Contributor
242 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: seafood?

I would also recommend heading to the southern part of the state. Matunuck Oyster Bar (in South Kingstown) is really good...I'm a local and I eat there. The oysters are farmed right next to the restaurant and all the seafood comes off the boats each day. Really love it there. There are quite a few choices in Narragansett as well.

There was an article in the Providence Journal this week that talked about restaurants in RI and surrounding MA that get their seafood from the boats in Galilee rather than importing it. At the end of this article there is a list of restaurants. These are not all specifically seafood restaurants, but the restaurants are in different areas of the state as well as in MA and just thought this may give you some other choices in case you wanted to stay closer to the northern part of the state. Article is here: projo.com/food/content/fd-wild_rhody_trace_a…

long island, ny
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: seafood?

Thanks for replying all! So many great sounding choices. Wish we had more than two nights to explore them all.