We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying in to Providence

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
360 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Flying in to Providence

We are planning to fly in to Providence the Sunday before Thanksgiving, Leaving there and driving down the coast of Conn., stopping in Essex(husband isa Dark Shadows fan).He tells me some filming was done at the inn there. Then driving down along the coast to Greenwich to take the train over to the city to catch some Christmas decorations.

Could someone tell me if this sounds like a reasonable plan or is this too much ground to cover in 4 days? Would love to hear some ideas for scenic drive... Sorry to post this all in the Providence forum, but I had to start somewhere!

Westerly, Rhode...
Level Contributor
614 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying in to Providence

Not an issue at all, unless the weather interferes. We've driven from southern RI to NYC and back in a day ourselves. Wouldn't want to do that often, but your itinerary should be fine. You might want to stop in Mystic, CT, if you're going by Rt 95 South. The highway is not scenic, but it is the quickest.

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying in to Providence

Not sure really how much time you were spending in the city vs. getting there, but the area around Essex, Deep River is one of the nicer country parts of CT, especially a little farther north around Hadlyme, have taken this as a leisurely route back to RI from NYC several times. There is car ferry over the river which costs a dollar, runs year round. Stonington Village is histpric coastal village, a little more low key than Mystic.

Edited: 22 September 2011, 03:00
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying in to Providence

Sounds like a good plan! It's about 180 miles from Providence to NY, so 4 days is plenty of time for your trip. I always drive to Greenwich and take the MTA train into the city from there, usually just a day trip. You usually are banned from driving in NYC in rental cars, and Amtrak from RI is expensive. That said, I-95 is not fun to drive through CT. It is not scenic. There is quite a lot of construction going on. Still, if you avoid driving it during rush hour you should be OK, and besides, it's worth a bit of hassle to enjoy NYC at Thanksgiving/Christmastime.

The Essex area is beautiful, maybe a little bleak that time of year, but the town generally does a nice job decorating for the holidays with a Colonial Christmas theme. So does Newport, RI.

4. Re: Flying in to Providence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 20:17