We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do/places to eat near the Weston Providence

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
75 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do/places to eat near the Weston Providence

I will be staying at the Weston Providence for a convention next month and wondered what is within walking distance from the hotel. We won't have a car, but will have free time most evenings and some afternoons.

We do plan to see the Waterfire event. That's about all we know about around the hotel. Can you recommend good restaurants within 4 or 5 blocks? How about things to do when we're not eating?

And are there good seafood restaurants in that area? I LOVE lobster, so of course, will be looking for a restaurant to eat at least once that serves it.

Thanks!

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do/places to eat near the Weston Providence

All the sites in Providence are in walking distance of downtown. The beautiful East Side abuts the downtown, with plenty of restaurants and history. Federal Hill, the Italian strip, starts about 10 mins walking from the Westin, on the west side of the city. Hemenway's has typically been the only 'seafood' restaurant in the city, however Blount Seafood just opened an upscale, casual 'clam shack' where you can taste the best of RI, also downtown. All in walking distance or quick cab ride. Good restaurants abound.

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do/places to eat near the Weston Providence

Just to clarify, most of the restaurants are downtown and on Fed Hill. College Hill (the East Side) is where the universities and beautiful houses are. You could walk along Benefit St. which is parallel to the river where Waterfire is.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
75 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do/places to eat near the Weston Providence

Thank you, Hillside68. We can't wait! I've been trying to find an online map with downtown restaurants and attractions printed on it so I can get my bearings before we get there, but I haven't been able to find anything except for tailoring Google maps. Do you happen to know of one? Thank you!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do/places to eat near the Weston Providence

There is a food truck called Roxy's Lobster https://www.facebook.com/ROXYSLOBSTER

You can find out on Facebook where it will be parked. I haven't had it yet but I've heard the lobster rolls are amazing. When it's parked at Kennedy Plaza it's only a couple of blocks from the Westin.

Try this website for maps and things to do

http://www.goprovidence.com/

It's the Providence Visitor's Bureau.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
75 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do/places to eat near the Weston Providence

Thank you, Lauryc! I've liked both Roxy's Lobster and the Providence Visitor's Center on FaceBook. Great idea, I should have thought of that myself :)

Thanks again! ~ Shari

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
31 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do/places to eat near the Weston Providence

You will find that providencecan compete with any restaurant in the world forgone dining.

Many fine non chain places at reasonable prices

Westerly, Rhode...
Level Contributor
614 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do/places to eat near the Weston Providence

For things to do when you're not eating:

They also do gondola rides on the river with real gondolas. The RISD art museum is a great museum.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do/places to eat near the Weston Providence

Hi from The Visitors Bureau in Providence! Sound like you found our website GoProvidence.com. While you are here, please feel free to stop at our Visitors Center, which is located on the ground floor of the RI Convention Center, That is directly across the street from your hotel. You can also feel free to call us at 1-800-233-1636 if you have any specific questions. Enjoy Providence!

Boston...
Level Contributor
824 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do/places to eat near the Weston Providence

ditto the rec for eating and strolling Atwells Avenue (Federal Hill)

10. Re: Things to do/places to eat near the Weston Providence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 13:15