We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving From Rhode Island to Cape Cod

Which Providence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida Space Coast
Level Contributor
38 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Driving From Rhode Island to Cape Cod

I am renting a car at the Providence Airport (which is in Warwick?)

Driving to Harwich Port, Cape Cod this coming Thursday,

picking up car around noon. Google maps has one route using

I-95, the other route has me exiting off 95 onto 495 South.

Is one better than the other? I don't care so much about the time, but if one is less congested than the other I would prefer it as I am not especially used to driving in heavy traffic ---(there isn't any where I live!) Thanks for any suggestions or tips.

Yarmouth, MA
Level Contributor
455 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving From Rhode Island to Cape Cod

Hi Loucee -

Coming from the airport in Providence back to the Cape, the way we do it is to take I-95 to I-195 to MA-25. That'll bring you right to the Bourne Bridge. From there, just hop on Rt. 6 (the Mid-Cape Highway) and you'll be in Harwich in no time.

As far as traffic is concerned, you shouldn't have too much to worry about if you're leaving Providence around noon or a little after. You'll be missing the bulk of the commuter traffic around Providence, Fall River and New Bedford. And bridge traffic getting onto the Cape should be at a minimum.

FYI: This is a much easier drive than you might imagine. There are plenty of "To Cape Cod" signs to guide you along the way.

Enjoy your time on the Cape!!

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving From Rhode Island to Cape Cod

Yes, the airport is in Warwick, not Providence. Warwick is about 15 mins south of Providence. There really is no route out to the Cape other than taking 95 N to 195East and then eventually route 6. It can be busy from the airport through Providence, at the 95/195 interchange, but that's a pretty short distance. It's nothing like driving around nyc, or Miami for that matter.

Florida Space Coast
Level Contributor
38 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving From Rhode Island to Cape Cod

Thanks for the tips and advice, the helpful answers were much appreciated.

Looking forward to our trip!

4. Re: Driving From Rhode Island to Cape Cod

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 10:18