We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

al forno

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
36 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
al forno

Is al Forno restaurant a must? Other Italian suggestions please

Mentioned in this post
Al Forno
Al Forno
508 Reviews
Providence, RI
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: al forno

Not at all! It depends on what you're looking for. If you want upscale, foodie Italian, then Al Forno would be a good pick. Other foodie-type Italian Pane e Vino, Siena and Meditteraneo. But the basis of Providence's Italian culinary heritage are still going strong as well. The Blue Grotto, Old Canteen and Angelo's Civita Farnese have all been around for decades. I love the atmosphere at Camille's, another classic Italian. Lots of celebrities have eaten there over the decades. In fact if I had to pick just one I'd pick Camille's. I think a lot of the new places try too hard.

Mentioned in this post
Al Forno
Al Forno
508 Reviews
Providence, RI
Pane E Vino
Pane E Vino
424 Reviews
Providence, RI
Siena Restaurant
Siena Restaurant
748 Reviews
Providence, RI
Angelo's Civita Farnese
Angelo's Civita Farnese
175 Reviews
Providence, RI
Camille's
Camille's
279 Reviews
Providence, RI
Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
36 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: al forno

thx so much for the info. can't wait to try........

Boston...
Level Contributor
824 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: al forno

agree with Lauryc.. all the restaurants she listed are on Atwells Avenue.. it would be VERY difficult to get a bad meal on that street no matter where you go.

Angelo's is definitely more on the casual/family-friendly side... Andino's, Andy Jr.'s, Camille's, Zooma, Mediterraneo, Old Canteen, Pane e Vino, Venda Bar, Bradford Cafe, Cafe Dolce Vita are more moderate to upscale.

Camille's has live entertainment Friday and Saturday nights.. you can check their website for the exact schedule.. crowd tends to be 35+

For the yummiest deserts.. Pastiche.. on Spruce Street.. the street parallel to Atwells.

In addition to Italian, there are also Lebanese, Japanese, Chinese, Mexican, and Jamaican restaurants on Atwells.. Like I said, hard to find a bad meal on that street :)

Mentioned in this post
Atwells Avenue
Atwells Avenue
41 Reviews
Providence, RI
Andino's
Andino's
394 Reviews
Providence, RI
Camille's
Camille's
279 Reviews
Providence, RI
Pane E Vino
Pane E Vino
424 Reviews
Providence, RI
4. Re: al forno

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2014, 05:19