We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lobster to go

Cleveland OH
Level Contributor
70 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
lobster to go

My wife will be travelling to Providence next week for work. She has an hour or so before her flight back and said she would buy me some lobster to bring home if I could find out where to get it. Does anyone know of a place to buy fresh lobsters that can be packed to travel? Ideally it would be downtown or on the way to the airport. Thanks in advance for the info!

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lobster to go

Do you mean fresh 'live' lobsters, or just fresh cooked? I don't think people don't pack live lobsters for travel; maybe they do in Maine, since they got the blueberry thing down. I once took live lobsters in a bag w ice on a plane to Nebraska; they need to be kept cold with ice, they were 'somewhat' alive by the time they got to the pot that evening, barely.

Edited: 06 September 2013, 13:12
Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Nebraska
Nebraska
United States
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lobster to go

I once took a cooler full of live lobsters on a plane to San Francisco pre-9-11, but I would check with the TSA about it. I doubt the ice would pass the 3 oz of liquid thing, nor would ice packs. Without ice they wouldn't survive. Maybe as checked baggage. Dockside in Warwick is a few miles out of her way to the airport and is the closest fish market that I know of to the airport (which is in Warwick, not Providence).

http://www.docksideseafoodri.com/

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Warwick
Warwick
Rhode Island
North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lobster to go

This is interesting. At Logan Airport in Boston, Legal Seafoods post-security will pack live lobsters for travel. For many, many years, a local fish store had a small lobster operation at Logan, but I think they are gone now. I gather PVD has nothing similar?

Fish stores north of Boston all pack live lobsters for travel. I'm sure I've also seen this elsewhere in Massachusetts and in Maine. Now that liquids and gels aren't allowed in carry-on luggage, I suppose this market is now limited to car and train travelers (and FedEx shipments). I have family who, several times, have put lobsters in checked luggage going across the US--I've never tried this, but once I did get to eat a lobster from one of the cross-country journeys.

doobiedoo, I know this doesn't really help you (unless you want to try the checked bag approach). Next time your wife needs to travel to Boston instead of Providence! ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Massachusetts
Massachusetts
United States
Maine
Maine
United States
Cleveland OH
Level Contributor
70 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lobster to go

Thanks for your replies. I have brought fish home from FL in carry-ons with no problem and was hoping she could do the same. Of course they are not live. I just get them really really cold before leaving and they are still good after the two and a half hour flight. Lauryc I think I will have her try Dockside. Thanks again

Dublin, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lobster to go

We have carried on live lobster on a plane packed in special cardboard carriers (think extra large & strong happy meal boxes) & used to take them to my grandmother in the midwest where we were once greeted by a news crew in her small town. However, it was definitely pre-9/11; however this recent article

npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/09/12/160944468/h…

seems to indicate lobsters are allowed by TSA.

Many Boston forums suggest Legal Seafood for purchasing lobster, there is a Legal Seafood across the street from the PVD airport in Warwick, I would contact them.

legalseafoods.com/restaurants/warwick-post-r…

Perhaps they can help.

Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Warwick
Warwick
Rhode Island
North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lobster to go

I realize the OP's wife had probably already returned home from RI, but I wanted to comment on the Legal Seafoods idea in post #5. All the Legal Seafoods that are post-security at Logan Airport in Boston have information on their webpages indicating that they pack lobsters for travel. The Warwick Legal does not mention this on its webpage or online menu. Certainly worth calling to check though.

I love the NPR piece, mexicocity.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Cleveland OH
Level Contributor
70 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lobster to go

Thanks everyone. My wife stopped at Dockside Seafood in Warwick and got three live lobsters. They packed them with ice packs in a special box and she carried them on the plane with no problem. Ate them Friday night and they were fantastic!!

Mentioned in this post
Warwick
Warwick
Rhode Island
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: lobster to go

I'm so pleased you were able to do it!

BTW I enjoyed a short (one night) visit to Cleveland last summer. Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame and the lakefront...wow, it was so much nicer than we expected. We definitely want to go back some day and stay in the renovated downtown area. We ate the best grilled cheese we ever had in Cleveland!

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: lobster to go

So glad it worked out. Lucky you!

United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: lobster to go

Doobiedo, thanks for sharing that info,, so glad you got to enjoy some delicious fresh lobsta! Sometimes I fly out of PVD, so knowing where to go for this treat to bring to folks for a taste of New England is helpful.

Edited: 17 September 2013, 14:16