We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting Brown, where to stay, what to see?

los angeles
Level Contributor
143 posts
242 reviews
Save Topic
visiting Brown, where to stay, what to see?

We will be visiting June 20 - 22nd and dropping our daughter at Brown. Staring with Marriott properties (for AA miles), would you recommend any of these:

Courtyard Providence Downtown (Memorial Blvd.)

Renaissance Providence Downtown (near Capitol, I think)

Providence Marriott Downtown (Orms Street)

The Renaissance is highly rated and seems to be in a good location, any pros/cons staying here versus the other 2 properties? Any other properties you recommend? I would imagine we will need a cab to Brown from any of these properties, since we'll have have luggage. What are the "must see" in the area?

Mentioned in this post
Courtyard Providence Downtown
Courtyard Providence...
238 Reviews
Providence, RI
Renaissance Providence Downtown Hotel
Renaissance Providence...
1,396 Reviews
Providence, RI
Providence Marriott Downtown
Providence Marriott...
1,649 Reviews
Providence, RI
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting Brown, where to stay, what to see?

Downtown is very convenient to Brown...though you need to walk uphill to the university. Maybe a 10-15 minute walk. Very safe. We stayed at the Renaissance several times when our daughter was at Brown. It's very nice.

The University itself is very pretty. There are quite a few colonial homes in the area. Thayer St., and Wickenden St., have lots of restaurants, shops and college kids. RISD's museum is very nice and very doable - and next to Brown. Downtown has some very nice 19th century architecture of the type often torn down in other cities. Federal Hill has some good Italian food. Along the river there are several very good restaurants. Providence is not really a tourist mecca.

FWIW, my daughter loved Brown and got a very good education and took advantage of several of their endowed programs/fellowships. I was somewhat surprised when she told me it was her first choice. When I asked "why?" she said because it had the happiest student body. Who could argue with that?

Edited: 11 April 2014, 16:54
Mentioned in this post
Providence
Providence
Rhode Island
los angeles
Level Contributor
143 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting Brown, where to stay, what to see?

Thank you for all the information! I'm glad you mentioned the Renaissance since I made a reservation there already. Have you gone to Newport from there, is that an easy day trip?

I will be leaving from Boston after checking my daughter in on Sunday, do you suggest Peter Pan or Amtrak to get to Logan Int'l? Amtrak is faster (then cab to Logan) but I think PP drops off right at the airport?

My daughter is a junior in high school and is looking at several schools including Brown, so good to hear they have happy students. What did your daughter study?

Mentioned in this post
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting Brown, where to stay, what to see?

While you are there the First Baptist Church in America is located next to the University. It is the location where Brown Degrees are officially awarded - despite the following ceremony on the green. Maybe it's because I live in the South where there is a "First Baptist Church of _____" in every hamlet, but it's worth a visit. Although the University no longer is formally associated with the Baptist Church, it was because of the strong freedom of religion beliefs of the early Baptists that Brown became the first Ivy to admit Jews.

Mentioned in this post
First Baptist Church in America
First Baptist Church in...
73 Reviews
Providence, RI
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting Brown, where to stay, what to see?

Newport is an easy day trip with a car. (Hell, RI is only about 50 miles from Pawtucket to Westerly.)

I'd probably take the train - commuter rail into South Station and then Silver Line or cab to Logan. (Amtrak is also available - for a bit more money, and a bit quicker) Train station is very near the Hotel...Peter Pan is further out somewhere...not downtown.

Mentioned in this post
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Westerly
Westerly
South County, RI
los angeles
Level Contributor
143 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visiting Brown, where to stay, what to see?

Do you know where the students from Brown usually "hang out?" or do their shopping, etc?

By chance have you gone to Martha's Vineyard from there or have any idea how best to accomplish a day trip there?

Mentioned in this post
Martha's Vineyard
Martha's Vineyard
Massachusetts
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visiting Brown, where to stay, what to see?

If Peter Pan goes directly to Logan and I think it does, I would do this. Unless you want and have the time to walk around the Boston waterfront area, then take the commuter rail. There are lockers at south station to use for luggage. The silverline from south station drops you at the terminal.

Mbta.com

Massport.com

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: visiting Brown, where to stay, what to see?

Also, there is no need to rent a car for the Newport trip. Ripta.com takes you from Kennedy plaza to Newport. Obviously car is the better option.

Mentioned in this post
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
los angeles
Level Contributor
143 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visiting Brown, where to stay, what to see?

Thanks! Any restaurants you care to recommend?

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: visiting Brown, where to stay, what to see?

The Red Parrot and Black Pearl are two consistently good places in Newport. Last summer I tried the Barking Carb a few times and was very happy. Their clam chowder was as good as it gets.

Mentioned in this post
Black Pearl
Black Pearl
1,454 Reviews
Newport, RI
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
los angeles
Level Contributor
143 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: visiting Brown, where to stay, what to see?

Any recommendations for Providence?

Mentioned in this post
Providence
Providence
Rhode Island