We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shuttle to Rocky Point

Which Tucson hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
214 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Shuttle to Rocky Point

Because driving in Mexico is dangerous and discouraged, is there a shuttle from PHX or Tucson that takes Americans to the Rocky Point resort area?

If so, how much?

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,758 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shuttle to Rocky Point

Driving in some areas is "dangerous and discouraged," but that's particularly in border cities. It is very safe to drive to PP, and in general into Mexico. There is a regular shuttle service from Phoenix, however I found none listed as currently operating from Tucson. Mercedes Shuttle from Phoenix operates from Tucson by request. www.mercedesshuttle.com

If you have more q's about PP, there is a PP forum in the Northern Mexico section in TA.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shuttle to Rocky Point

If you decide to drive yourself and If you have a rental car you can not take it over the boarder without permission and special insurance from the rental company. Honestly I wouldn't bother going down even if its just for a day. I've gone a couple of time for scuba diving but I found it very touristy and pricey. I would honestly stick with staying around Tucson and Phoenix.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,897 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shuttle to Rocky Point

I don't think that there has been any violence in Rocky Point. At least none that I've heard of. There have been incidents in Sonoyta, the border town you cross into Mexico on the highway, but you should be fine just driving through.

As mentioned, you generally cannot bring a rental car into Mexico. If you bring a private vehicle, make sure that you purchase Mexican auto insurance first, as you're not covered south of the border.

It looks like the shuttle that used to go directly to Tucson went out of business, so I guess you're stuck with the charter service, driving to Phoenix first, or taking your own car.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,758 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shuttle to Rocky Point

If you are coming from Chicago by air, you may want to go to Phoenix. It is actually the same travel time to Puerto Penasco, about 4 hours. There is a shuttle operating from PHX as above. Also, advice about rental cars is a little confusing. You can rent a car to drive to Mexico which includes the necessary insurance. Avis, Budget and Dollar are reported to have Mexican rentals.

You could also rent a car from the same agencies if you flew into Tucson.

5. Re: Shuttle to Rocky Point

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 11:23
Get answers to your questions about Tucson