We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

heading to tucson on jan. 24-28th

Which Tucson hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
berlin center ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
heading to tucson on jan. 24-28th

comming to tucson with my wife,and just wanted some insider info.what to see and what is over rated. inlaws there for winter but not much in comon in intrests.love the outdoors,ghosts towns ,senic drives,views,ect.so any ideas would be great thanks a lot.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,702 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: heading to tucson on jan. 24-28th

You'll be leaving right before the gem show starts, which is a shame. The Desert Museum is a must. You should try hiking at least a little bit. It's a great time of year for it. Mission San Xavier is also great.

If you want a real ghost town, and have a car that you don't mind putting on gravel, you can take a trip out to Sasco. Lots of structures out there still and, on the other side of the river, there's the old cemetery.

For scenic drives, you can head up to Mount Lemmon. Considering the storms that we're supposed to be getting this week, there will almost certainly be snow up there. Again, if you don't mind dirt roads, you could also head up to Redington Pass. Once you get past about MM 10 there are very few people up there, and it's really pretty. Also make sure to drive up "A" Mountain at least once. Great views of the city.

If you're interested in wine, it's also a great time of year to hit the wineries near Sonoita. There are only 4-5, so it won't take you very long. It's very pretty out there though.

berlin center ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: heading to tucson on jan. 24-28th

hey... thanks for the reply...sounds like you know the area..we will be sure to check out these sugestions.....wrote them down on the todo list. yes we will definatly check out the wineries too. thanks a mllion. we like to read info on the internet but its great to get first hand report..thats super thanks again...will keep an eye open for any more ideas too.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,761 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: heading to tucson on jan. 24-28th

Hi Gary,

I think you will really enjoy Tucson and southern AZ.

Colin is right, the Arizona-sonora Desert Museum and San Xavier are "must-see" At San Xavier, get an Indian taco at one of the stands outside.

I also think Kartchner Caverns is a "must-see. And, for a much more detailed list of things to see and do, check out my online list:

http://www.mikepintucson.blogspot.com/

Minnesota
Level Contributor
189 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: heading to tucson on jan. 24-28th

We were just to Tucson and I just wrote a trip report on the Tucson Forum. It might have some helpful information for you. People have different opinions and ideas. On a positive note, in my opinion, Kartchner Caverns and Sabino Canyon should not be missed. Tucson is a wonderful city with great restaurants and a wide range of activities and attractions.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: heading to tucson on jan. 24-28th

Unless you're really into architecture and/or history, I wouldn't include San Xavier Mission on my "don't miss" list, but if you're in the area it's probably worth a quick stop.

Since you mentioned love for the outdoors, I would definitely spend some time hiking. Lots of options depending on what area of town you're in - Sabino Canyon in the NE, Saguaro NP East, Pima Canyon in the N and Catalina State Park in the NW. Should especially be nice after the expected rain this week as long as it clears up by then. And if they have a few days to clear the roads, you could spend some time on Mt. Lemmon playing in the snow.

As the others have mentioned, the Desert Museum is a must see.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: heading to tucson on jan. 24-28th

If you don't mind me asking what exactly do you mean by it should be especially nice after the expected rain this week.

I was just looking for some clarification.

Thank you,

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,702 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: heading to tucson on jan. 24-28th

> If you don't mind me asking what exactly do you mean by it should be especially nice after the expected rain this week.

After a good rain, it usually cools down a bit and the atmosphere is clearer. Needless to say that we have a lot of dust, but the rain settles everything.

It is problematic for hiking though, because the trails stay muddy for a few days after it, although the streams and waterfalls in the canyons run higher, so that's really nice.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: heading to tucson on jan. 24-28th

Exactly what colin said. In the desert, rain is always a welcome sight. Since it's been so dry here the rain really clears the dust from the air. And most of the hiking trails will dry out pretty quickly since it's been so dry and the ground is not ssturated at all. It's also great to see snow on the Catalina mountains.

Even though it's a bit breezzy and cool today, it's a beautiful day after the rain last night.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: heading to tucson on jan. 24-28th

Thanks you for answering the question.

I wish I was there to see the Catalinas. They are beautiful.

10. Re: heading to tucson on jan. 24-28th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2010, 08:16