We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Recommendation for Group

Phoenix
Level Contributor
481 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Recommendation for Group

I am planning a trip for my antique club. We will be in Tucson the weekend of March 6 and 7, and will probably stay at La Quinta East at 6404 E. Broadway.

I need to find a restaurant for Saturday dinner. We will probably have about 25 people, so I need somewhere that will take reservations or has a room for our group, is not too far from the hotel, and entrees cost under $20. A Mexican restaurant would be ok if they also have some steak or burgers for people who don't like Mexican. I'd like to find a place that's not a big chain, if possible.

I see where El Charro is close by, but I have read many negative reviews here, and also read in one review that they don't take reservations. I don't know if they will for groups.

On Sunday morning, we will be going to the Antique Flea Market at 11100 E. Tanque Verde, and will need to eat breakfast somewhere along the way. This will be done individually, not as a group. Some place that is quick to serve would be great, as we'd like to get to the market early.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Tucson
Tucson
Arizona
Tanque Verde Ranch
Tanque Verde Ranch
741 Reviews
Tucson, AZ
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Recommendation for Group

I don't have any suggestions for a restaurant. Sorry.

But I was interested in some Antique Flea Market information. If you have some. Is it every Sunday at that location? Is it a large event? What time does it start? Do they have a website?

I would love to find some antiques from the area, when I'm visiting.

Thanks!

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Recommendation for Group

I'm not sure where the negative reviews of El Charrro come from. Naturally, not everyone will love their food. But they have been in business, run by the same family, for 88 years. You do not survive in the competitive restaurant business without being consistently good. El Charro would be my suggestion, and they will take reservations for a group, as well as for 2 to 4 people.

Also very close is Marie Callender's, and they also serve breakfast.

http://www.mcpies.com/find_us/results.php

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,852 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Recommendation for Group

I've had always terrible service at El Charro and have never liked the food, although I've only been to the Downtown and Speedway/Swan (now something else from the same owners) locations. The Broadway location may be better.

You may try Eclectic Cafe. It's relatively close to your flea market. Their dishes have a vegetarian spin, but they definitely have meat. It's also mostly Mexican-inspired (not true Mexican).

I've only passed by that antique flea market a couple of times on the way to Redington Pass. There were certainly a lot of cars there. Seems to start at a normal time (9-ish). It's at a building across the street from the Tanque Verde School, which is on Tanque Verde Road at Tanque Verde Loop. Just an FYI, save yourself some time and don't try to take Tanque Verde Loop to get there, because it gets washed out a lot.

Mentioned in this post
Eclectic Cafe
Eclectic Cafe
270 Reviews
Tucson, AZ
Tanque Verde Ranch
Tanque Verde Ranch
741 Reviews
Tucson, AZ
tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,246 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Recommendation for Group

Mimi's Cafe has a variety of food to please everyone. They are within a block of your hotel. They can handle a large group. For any restaurant you need to make your arrangements a few days in advance as they can't handle 25 people on the spur of the moment. Fridays and Saturdays are very busy at all restaurants.

All restaurants serving breakfast are very busy almost any Sunday in Tucson, with waits of 30 minutes common. Brawley's Restaurant is in a small shopping center right across the street from your hotel, popular but very average. From your hotel not far out of the way to the flea market, Good Egg is at the corner of Kolb Rd and Speedway Blvd, and also Eclectic Cafe which Colin mentioned at Tanque Verde Rd and Sabino Canyon Rd. There are lots of fast food places for quicker service, including a Burger King across the street from your hotel.

I personally think El Charro is fine. There are several other better Mexican restaurants but none close at all to your hotel. However, I agree with Colin on the service at El Charro often being slow or mis-timed. No matter where you have your dinner out, it takes a lot longer to deal with 25 people than 4.

Mentioned in this post
Tucson
Tucson
Arizona
Eclectic Cafe
Eclectic Cafe
270 Reviews
Tucson, AZ
Tanque Verde Ranch
Tanque Verde Ranch
741 Reviews
Tucson, AZ
Sabino Canyon
Sabino Canyon
4,215 Reviews
Tucson, AZ
Phoenix
Level Contributor
481 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Recommendation for Group

Thanks everyone, for the suggestions.

Kskobra, the Lew Sorensen Antique Fair is the first Sunday of every month (including Easter Sunday this year, I asked) , and runs from 9 am to 3 pm., free admission. There are about 150 vendors, and 5,000 to 7,000 attendees according to an article in the Daily Star. It is run by the Parks and Rec. Dept.. During the hotter months, the number of vendors goes down, so it's best to go in the next few months.

Here's their site, which has no info at all. There's also a little about the Brandi Fenton Antique Fair, which I have never been to.

http://www.pima.gov/nrpr/fairs/index.htm

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Recommendation for Group

Thank you for the information.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Recommendation for Group

I have always had good service at the Broadway El Charro and spotty service at the downtown location. It WAS twoyears ago, but I brought a group of around 20 to the Broadway location (advance reservations are a must for a large group), and the service was better than when only a few of us go.

8. Re: Restaurant Recommendation for Group

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2010, 05:16