We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tucson for kids @ spring break

Washington, DC
5 posts
Save Topic
Tucson for kids @ spring break

All,

Our family -- 4 & 7 year old girls plus my mother -- will be in Tucson for our spring break, the first week of April. Any suggestions for fun, kid-friendly activities?

Thanks!

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
464 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tucson for kids @ spring break

Highly recommend the Sonora Desert Museum...it is a zoo, museum, and nature hike all combined into one.

Your kids may also like the Old Tucson Studios nearby the Sonora Desert Museum but I did not enjoy that as an adult.

Colchester UK
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tucson for kids @ spring break

Hi

I'd certainly agree on the Saguaro Nat Park, Desert Museum, Old Tucson etc.

Southeast of Tucson off I-10 you'll find Kartchner Caverns State Park and the "Town too tough to die" Tombstone with the OK Corral and Boothill.

Tony

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tucson for kids @ spring break

I'll add in the Air Museum off of Valencia. Kids like airplanes. And for that matter, so do moms. :)

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tucson for kids @ spring break

Tucson is a wonderful place for children. We have a fantastic Children's Museum that is very "hands on", we live here and my grandkids always want to go there. A nice little day trip with kids is to take the tram that runs up through Sabino Canyon. You can get off at many points and walk around a bit by the creek, they have Docents that will show the kids how to "pan for gold" in the creek. It's quite a beautiful place....

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
826 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tucson for kids @ spring break

The kids will lke Old Tucson. The drive out there is beautiful. I agree with BUCKEYE. The Pima Air and Space Museum off Valencia is pretty cool. If you do'nt want to pay for admission just driving by the old "graveyard". It's miles of old military jets/planes lined up row after row. Can see it from the street

Tucson, AZ
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tucson for kids @ spring break

Pinnacle Peak restaurant on Tanque Verde Road is a fun steak house with a Wild West show. It's located in Trail Dust Town, like a movie set with a town square, opera house, etc. They don't take reservations, so get there early. All the other recommendations are great. Kartchner Caverns is fabulous & world-renowned, but if you can't get tickets, there's also Colossal Cave--no comparison, but you'll walk about a mile down into the cave. It terrified me since I'm afraid of heights, but my kids were about the ages of yours and it fascinated them. If you are willing to travel out of town, another fun subterranean tour is the Queen (copper) Mine Tour in Bisbee, which is south of Tombstone. Retired miners narrate as you ride in ore cars. It's chilly down there, so bring sweaters. Two good museums about Native Americans and western history are Arizona State Museum on the Univ. of AZ campus or the Arizona Historical Society Museum near the UA entrance.

tucson, arizona, USA
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tucson for kids @ spring break

All those places mentioned by the others are great, I agree. But personally, if you've seen one Children's Museum you've seen 'em all, so you could skip that. My opinion as father of two little girls.

Tram ride (and picnic/hike) thru Sabino Canyon...Old Tucson and Desert Museum are near each other, so you could hit those in one day most likely. Then dine at El Charro downtown!