We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

university of arizona

monterey
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
university of arizona

going with husband and son to visit univ of arizona in late february. suggestions for nearby hotel and nice dinner would be appreciated. Any insights on the school would also be great

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,130 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: university of arizona

Hotel: depends on your budget. The Arizona Inn is one of the best hotels in the city but will be running well over $200 per night in late February. Also the Marriott University Park that will be a little under $200 and the Sheraton Four Points which should be $100-150. All are walking distance to the university campus.

Food: Tucson's specialty is Sonoran style Mexican food and that's what you should try to eat at least once. La Poca Cosa (Downtown) would be my first choice for a nice, decent meal of something close to this style. There are other good, interesting restaurants all over the city, but it depends on your interest.

University: It depends on the specifics of what you're looking for. It's like a lot of large state universities. They have a top-notch medical program, very good business and law schools. Plenty of other great programs though. Too many to name. Lots of students from California (both north and south), Ohio, Illinois and New Jersey in addition to the Arizona ones. Not a commuter campus (i.e. - most live on campus or walking distance to campus) and there seems to be a good sense of community.

hth

monterey
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: university of arizona

thanks so much for the info. we are from new jersey so good to know there will be others from the state

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: university of arizona

Our daughter attends the U of A. She lives off-campus now but lived on-campus the first year. She is happy with her choice of schools.

When we visit her, we stay usually at either the DoubleTree Reid Park or the Embassy Suites Paloma Village. Both are very comfortable, but require a car or a willingness to learn and use the public transportation system to get to campus. Read the reviews here on TA on the two aforementioned chain hotels. I have never stayed there because of some less than favorable comments, but it sure would be nice to be so close!

Can't help you with dinner. We always seem to stumble into mediocre places. I should take colinaz's advice myself.

Cottonwood, Arizona
Level Contributor
676 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: university of arizona

Friends of mine own the Pepper Trees Inn, steps from the University. Plenty of professors that come out of twon stay there. It is extremely close clean and with the best breakfast you ever had. I just noticed they were rates 17 out of 56 B&B's in Tucson, BUT check out their reviews, they only have 7, they are ALL excellent!

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60950-d116122-…

http://www.peppertreesinn.com/

I have stayed there and rest assured that you will not be disapointed.

As for meals, there are plenty of restaurants to choose from a block or so away.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,567 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: university of arizona

On University Avenue just west of the campus is a typical college street of restaurants and shops. When my kids attended a few years ago we enjoyed No Anchovies, Auld Dubliner Pub and Frog & Firkin...nothing extraordinary, but very enjoyable, full of students, their families and college staff.

My favorite place for casual but excellent fare is Beyond Bread www.beyondbread.com, everything is fresh and delicious, never been disappointed except if i have to wait too long in line.

We would usually stay at the University Marriott and once again, never disappointed. You can go cheaper, but i think you need a good place to relax and get your bearings when doing college searches, and the proximity to campus and good service there was the right place for us.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,314 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: university of arizona

As colinaz pointed out, the nicer hotels close to the university are a bit pricy. If you're going to want to check out Tucson at all while you're here, you're going to need a rental car anyway, so you might consider the Windmill Inn which is on Campbell about 6 miles north of the university. There are a number of great restaurants right at that intersection or you might check out the Guadaljara Grill, which is located between there and the university.

AZ
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: university of arizona

I would definitely recommend the University Marriott, it is practically on campus and within walking distance to most popular colleges. The UofA is well known for its research in Engineering, Bio-Medics, Medical and others. It has one of the top Business and Nursing Schools. Being a former student I can honestly say that I got an awesome education.

For restaurants I would also recommend Cafe Poca Cosa for its unique flavor and atmosphere. Guadalajara Grill for Dinner with live Mariachi Music (if you enjoy live music).

The following restaurants are frequently visited by tourists but are not part of the "nice" dinner category.

EL Guero Canelo or BK Tacos, both of these restaurants appeared on the Travel channel. They also try to represent a "street" taqueria from Sonora, Mexico. For "homemade" Mexican food you can try Mi Nidito, also appeared on the Food Network. There are many more restaurants in Tucson, but I just named the restaurants that most tourists visit. It all depends what you want to eat.

Is your son planning on attending the UofA? If you have specific questions about different colleges from the university I might be able to help.

Go Cats and BEAR DOWN!!

monterey
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: university of arizona

thanks so much. he was accepted into Uof A however major is undeclared at this time. we are going out in feb as we have never been.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
1,897 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: university of arizona

I highly recommend the Sam Hughes Inn, a B&B about a block or so east of campus, at 2020 E. 7th St. in the historic Sam Hughes Neighborhood. It holds the #5 ranking on Trip Advisor for Tucson B&Bs. www.samhughesinn.com. Throughout the years, we've arranged for many professors visiting the UA to stay there, and they've all been happy with their rooms and breakfasts.

I have an advanced degree from the UA and my husband has been on the UA faculty for 40 years. We've both had very positive experiences at this top-knotch public university. It holds a high ranking nationwide for research and offers good to outstanding degree programs (undergraduate and graduate).

Re a nice dinner, I would add three recommendations to the suggestions above. Vivace (Italian), 4310 N. Campbell Ave. www.vivacetucson.com; Feast (continental gourmet with a twist) www.eatatfeast.com; and The Dish Bistro, 3131 E. 1st St., www.rumrunnertucson.com/thedish/

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,148 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: university of arizona

If you're coming in February, come in the middle of the month or later. Late January and early February are the time for Gem Shows in Tucson, and every hotel will be heavily booked and highest prices. The "Tucson Gem and Mineral Show," which is only one of the venues in town during that time, is February 10-13. Most venues will close in the week following that show.

Get answers to your questions about Tucson