We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nogales shopping

Which Tucson hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minnetonka...
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Topic
Nogales shopping

We will be visiting my parents in Tucson for Christmas, and they would like to spend a day in Nogales. My mom loves to shop there, my step-dad loves the food. If we leave our car in the US, and cross on foot, are we safe?

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,897 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nogales shopping

You should be fine and very welcomed by the businesses across the border.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,758 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nogales shopping

It appears safe to go there. Do not expect the shopping there to be like what you may have experienced in the past. Far fewer visitors go there than in the past as a result of the drug-related violence which had occurred in border areas. Many Nogales Sonora shops and restaurants have closed.

I would actually suggest that you find another activity for that day. Nogales is really not worth visiting at this time.

Edited: 11 November 2011, 04:19
Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,910 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nogales shopping

Crossing the border has become a major ordeal. A friend who lives in Nogales, AZ, says it can take up to an hour just to walk across. Coming out of Sonora this past January by car on the bypass took 50 minutes. I timed it.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,396 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nogales shopping

We used to enjoy day trips there for shopping and would walk across the border as you intend to. It has changed enough that we are no longer comfortable doing so. I'm with Bob. You can easily find a better way to spend the day.

san francisco
Level Contributor
543 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nogales shopping

This is so sad I remember when it was so simple to park your car, walk unobstructed across the border, and spend a great day enjoying the bustle. Sounds like now the only reason to go across is for the novelty of crossing into another country...

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
148 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nogales shopping

I agree. 30 years ago my family used to bring all our family visitor to Nogales for a day of shopping and dining. However, at this time, I agree, I would not bring my visitors to Nogales. I don't recommend and I'm sure you could find some other day trip that would be more enjoyable. Sabino Canyon, Mt. Lemmon, Tubac, Desert Museum, and the San Xavier Mission are much nicer places to visit nowadays. I continue to visit Mexico, such as the cruise port towns, and Puerto Penasco, but no longer Nogales.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
509 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nogales shopping

I agree with the others. There is plenty to do in Tucson. Frankly, you can find better quality items at better prices than Nogales these days. You can also find some great places to eat. Skip Nogales. It isn't worth the hassle anymore.

8. Re: Nogales shopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2012, 10:21
Get answers to your questions about Tucson