We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help deciding on what sights/activities

La Mesa
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Topic
Help deciding on what sights/activities

My family has a trip coming up for four nights next week in Tucson. Here is what I have planned so far.

Day 1: Arrive and Settle In

Day 2: ??

Day 3: Kartchner Caverns

Day 4: Morning at Sabino Canyon and Sky Night Program (just husband and older daughter)

Day 5: Visit Saguaro West in the morning and drive home

I have one whole day that I haven't planned out yet. I was thinking about Old Tucson Studios and stopping by the Mineral and Gem World. Is it worth it? We have two kids, one preschool-aged and one elementary-aged. Also, our free day is a weekend day. Would Old Tucson be really crowded?

The Arizona-Sonoran Desert Museum seems to be highly rated, but I want to do something a little different since we'll be visiting the cave, hiking and going to see the Saguaros on our trip.

Any other suggestions to round out our Tucson experience?

Thanks!

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,817 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help deciding on what sights/activities

> The Arizona-Sonoran Desert Museum seems to be highly rated, but I want to do something a little different since we'll be visiting the cave, hiking and going to see the Saguaros on our trip.

Then you should go to the Desert Museum.

Also Pima Air & Space Museum and the Titan Missile Museum, if you're interested, the Arizona State Museum, the Center for Creative Photography at the University of Arizona, the Tucson Botanical Gardens, shopping on 4th, Mission San Xavier, DeGrazia Gallery in the Sun... There are quite a few attractions in the area. It depends on your interests. If you want to hike more, there are a number of other very diverse hiking options that won't feel repetitive from Sabino Canyon and Saguaro NP West (if you're hiking there at all).

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,513 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help deciding on what sights/activities

Not sure why you wouldn't want to go to the Desert Museum. It's so completely different than anything else you have planned and IMO the one must do activity in Tucson. Should be perfect for your kids and the adults will enjoy it too.

IMO Old Tucson just isn't worth what you'll spend. You could go to Pinnacle Peak Steakhouse for dinner one night and watch the gunfights at Traildust Town for free. Also the Gem and Mineral World sure wouldn't be on my list of things to do. Lots of better ways to spend your time.

colin has given you some good ideas and you might also check out mike p's blog by clicking on the first question under the Top Questions About Tucson at the top right. A lot really depends on what you and your kids like to do.

san francisco
Level Contributor
543 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help deciding on what sights/activities

Not going to the desert museum is never a good decision. Believe us. You can combine it with a day at Old Tucson, which is nearby, if you like, which the kids will enjoy.

Not to beat a dead horse, but just to be clear, even though it has kind of a boring name the desert museum is NOT a "museum" in the traditional sense. It is one of the premier zoological parks in the world, but dedicated entirely to the Sonoran Desert region. Off the top of my head, I can't think of another activity, anywhere, that is equally fascinating and enjoyable for both adults and children.

If you skip the desert museum you will make us sad. :(

Have a great trip and enjoy beautiful Tucson!

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help deciding on what sights/activities

I think your kids would enjoy either the Desert museum or Old Tucson. Both worthwhile in my opinion.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
397 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help deciding on what sights/activities

Oh gosh, don't skip the desert museum! It's a unique experience for sure. Your kids will love it, and so will you.

Edited: 01 April 2012, 22:46
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
421 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help deciding on what sights/activities

Old Tucson Studios has great horseback riding. Good for all ages and magnificant surroundings (Tucson Mountains). www.oldtucson.com/visit-ots/rides-games/

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,129 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help deciding on what sights/activities

Mario, you are a bit late. The OP has already come and gone.

Oxnard, CA
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help deciding on what sights/activities

Has anyone been to both the Desert Museum in Tucson and The Living Desert in Palm Desert, CA? If so, how do they compare?

9. Re: Help deciding on what sights/activities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 21:15