We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mount Lemmon Sky Center

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,384 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Mount Lemmon Sky Center

My wife and I went here again for the second time - the first since they installed the new 32" telescope. What a great time! I've submitted a review with a few pictures but it will probably take a day or two for TA to post it. For some reason TA has the Sky Center listed under Mt. Lemmon and not Tucson:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g31287-d15…

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,373 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mount Lemmon Sky Center

TA's listings go by technical location most of the time. For instance, the Ritz is technically in Marana, so that's where it's listed, as opposed to Tucson with the other resorts, including the Omni (which is in an unincorporated area). Oro Valley also gets its own listings but the town of Catalina does not. I guess they decided Mount Lemmon warranted its own section, even though the CDP and village are both named Summerhaven.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
495 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mount Lemmon Sky Center

Wow, looks great, we'll definitely look at adding this to our agenda!

Schaumburg, IL
Level Contributor
792 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mount Lemmon Sky Center

I was just reading a review for the Ritz that raved about Mt. Lemmon, thanks for posting, we are visiting in July and it is on our to do list!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mount Lemmon Sky Center

I am pleased to see the Sky Center doing so well. In the '60s, I worked my way halfway through the UofA as a tech rep to the Air Force when it was a radar early warning station. In the '80s, I was on the staff at the UofA, and there was a great deal of concern about using Mt. Lemmon because of light pollution. Apparently, the problem was not as bad as feared.

After commuting to Mt. Lemmon 5 days a week during 1961 and 1962 in snow, ice and all kinds of weather, I have to admit I have not returned. Maybe one day...

new england
Level Contributor
411 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mount Lemmon Sky Center

DesertBeachLover, we envy your return trip to Mt Lemmon Sky Center! One of our teens was so taken by the evening we spent there last Feb that we sent off for one of their Planispheres and red LED flashlights as birthday presents for him. He was thrilled and will put both to use this summer on Nantucket (which isn't as dark skied as it used to be but still offers up some great star gazing).

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,489 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mount Lemmon Sky Center

The University of Arizona runs an astronomy camp for anyone interested in spending a few nights on Mt. Lemmon / Mr. Bigelow / Kitt Peak looking through telescopes.

http://www.astronomycamp.org/

Unfortunately, the previous poster was correct in that what you see in any telescope, anywhere, won't match what you see in the long-exposure, false-color astronomical images that typically get published. It is interesting to see things directly through a telescope, though. I used the 61 inch Kuiper scope on Mt, Bigelow, and saw some pretty cool views of galaxies and nebulae.

Edited: 19 May 2013, 08:02
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,384 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mount Lemmon Sky Center

mikeanav,,Sorry that you were so disappointed, but obviously you had some very unrealistic expectations of what you were going to be able to see. simba_8 is right, you will never see those kinds of colors in any telescope - no matter how large, because the human eye is not capable of seeing that. Those kinds of pictures require long exposures and the right filters. If you read the description of the images, it clearly shows that these are long exposure, highly processed images.

IMO the program is about so much more than just what you observe through the telescope anyway. The knowledge of the guides is amazing and both times we've been there we've come away with so much new information. And we loved looking through the telescope and seeing those "blurs and dots". Not really sure why you think you entitled to a refund since there is nothing you have said that indicates the program didn't deliver exactly what is promised in all their materials.

8. Re: Mount Lemmon Sky Center

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2014, 05:16