We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute Tucson / First time visit - help?

Which Tucson hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Last minute Tucson / First time visit - help?

Hello. We are planning a long weekend (5 days) in Tucson in a few weeks. It's short notice so I'm scrambling for hotels--the ones I looked into are sold out! (Hacienda del Sol, Lodge on the Desert, Arizona Inn). Can someone recommend charming hotels I can try? We want to visit Saguro National Park for hiking/petroglyphs?and Tombstone and that's all I know for now (definately outdoorsy/nature/old west history stuff). We prefer to stay a bit outside of the hustle & bustle, where it's quiet & dark. I'd rather stay in a low-rise, non-chain hotel, that's somewhat charming (maybe $125/night?) but am open to suggestions--we'd like a pool. A rental would be fine too. We are traveling with our 16 month old son, but he's too young for most kid stuff so that's not required. I'd appreciate any advice on hotels or even what neighborhoods/towns we should consider. Thanks!!!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute Tucson / First time visit - help?

Your first three choices are extremely charming, but unfortunately sold out. You might take a look at the Windmill Suites on North Campbell. It is near Hacienda del Sol. I used to live nearby, but that was long ago. It was out of the hustle and bustle then, but Campbell and River Road have changed. You also might look into B&Bs and ask about neighborhoods here on TripAdvisors for ones that have appeal.

Good luck.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute Tucson / First time visit - help?

You might also check Westward Look. Also, I just looked at the B&Bs listed here on TripAdvisor and think you might find what you're looking for among the first five or six top rated ones. Each is in a different setting and type of area. Take a look.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,907 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute Tucson / First time visit - help?

It's a little last minute, but you should be able to find a B&B at the price you're looking for because it's still early for the tourist season. A pool on site will limit you a little, but they certainly exist. Hotels are all on major roads and relatively near the city, or in shopping areas in the suburbs, so I don't think you'd like that. There are several resorts that you could try, but they're a little more bustling and you may have a difficult time finding one for under $125 (there's also a "resort fee" of 18.5% which increases the cost).

Look through the B&B's on TripAdvisor, limiting to properties with pools, and look at the distance from the city. You'll want at least 10 miles out to get into the desert (you can use the map). Most are on the northeast and east sides of the city. If one of those is in your price range, I would say go for that.

Good luck.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute Tucson / First time visit - help?

Although I often recommend the Windmill Inn I don't think it is what you're looking for. I would also check out the Westward Look. You're really pretty close to the "hustle and bustle" but you're far enough off Ina Road that you won't feel like it. Other than that, the B&B's or a vacation rental are probably going to give you the best way to find what you're looking for.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,785 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute Tucson / First time visit - help?

Look at upper right in this forum for Top Question about Tucson attractions.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last minute Tucson / First time visit - help?

Thanks so much for the help! We did choose a B&B that I am super excited about and it's in a location convenient to the National Park (so 20ish minutes out of town, dark skies!). I will be sure to do a review after our trip! Thanks again for the quick responses (you saved me from wasting time looking at hotels that we wouldn't have liked--straight to the B&Bs, with pool!).

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
219 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last minute Tucson / First time visit - help?

DesertBeach:

Curious why you don't think Windmill isn't a good choice. We are booked there in February so, naturally, are interested.

tucson, az
Level Contributor
3,857 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last minute Tucson / First time visit - help?

>>Curious why you don't think Windmill isn't a good choice. We are booked there in February so, naturally, are interested.<<

Probably because the OP said she wanted to be away from the hustle and bustle. The Windmill is at the intersection of two busy streets; granted it's away from the road, but it is at a busy intersection and the restaurants around it are popular.

The Windmill, is, from what I gather, nice. It's just not what the OP wanted. Just as I wouldn't recommend the very nice Hacienda del Sol to people who want a big party atmosphere hotel.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Last minute Tucson / First time visit - help?

Peter A,

The Windmill Inn is a great hotel. It just didn't fit what the OP was looking for. You've made a good choice.

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
219 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Last minute Tucson / First time visit - help?

Great. Thanks for getting back to me, DesertBeach and kitap. Still sounds like a great place.

Edited: 19 September 2012, 12:03